Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SLow Logon to Active Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiriray

MIS
Jul 11, 2000
US
Hi,

Is there a thread for "painfully slow Windows XP logon?" yet?
We've upgraded an office for everybody to use Windows xp Pro. They are logging on to an Active Directory domain running Windows 2000 Advance Server. But it takes a very long time before they get authenticated (logged on)... It takes like 2-4 minutes (approx) just to complete the logon process. This happened only when we added the users to active directory. Before anything else was done, the computers log in and out with no problem.
ideas please ?

thanks!

Ditto! I've installed a single XP Pro machine at a client site with Win2000 AD domain for a test and we are seeing the same type of behavior. The 'Applying Personal Settings' window will display for several minutes and the syncronizing is a little slow as well. This morning I got a call from that client saying the machine wouldn't log on a all. We got them back up but this is starting to look like a support money pit.

If anyone else runs across the issue please join the thread, this is pretty annoying!

Karl
Coast IT

I have not had theses issues here. We have a W2K AD Domain and a few XP Pro clients. Do you run DNS or WINS? Are they set up on the machine before you add them. Also add entries into the hosts file for the server. (I know its not needed, but you would be suprised). Also I have found that adding a pre domain qualifier to the LMHOSTS file can help as well ie...
192.1681.1 Server #PRE #DOM:Domain

Let me know if this helps. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

We have the same problem. It's driving me nuts! Win2000 server w/DNS and WinXP clients. Is it roaming profiles that's slowing it down? Or a bad DNS structure?

Need suggestions,
Tonya

I have also posted two threads regarding this problem.

I have this problem for 5 months.....still not solve

I have seen this problem also. I do not have a solution but it seems to be very common. I tried the Windows XP service pack 1 but that didn't help.

I've got this problem too! XP SP1 didn't work, DNS looks fine. The event log has regular error ID 5774, which points to DNS but I'm not convinced as I use DHCP and my Win2k PC's are fine!

Starting to regret buying PC's with XP Pro already!

You may experience extremely long delays (up to 5 minutes) when logging into domains using Windows XP Pro. This is caused by the asyncronous loading of networking during the boot up process. This speeds up the login process in a stand-alone workstation by allowing the user to log in with cached logon credentials before the network is fully ready.

To disable this "feature" and restore your domain logons to their normal speed, open the MMC and add the group policy snap-in. Under Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->System-->Logon, change "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" to ENABLED.

This can be fed to clients via a group policy from a Windows 2000 server by upgrading the standard policy template with the XP policy template. Since this is an XP only command, non-XP systems will ignore it in a domain distributed group policy.

I had the same problem, and traced it back to a bad DNS entry. Check for the following in a workstations application event log:
Error Userenv 1054 or 1054

The problem comes from the active directory server not being found, so the systems wait and time out.
The customer was set up with the domain name of the network being abc.local, but the forward lookup zone was for abc.com, so the active directory server was not available.
Blew away the forward lookup zone for abc.com, created a new zone for abc.local, and made sure to enter the server server.abc.com as a blank host (leave parent blank) in the zone pointing to itself.

Workstation slow logon gone.

Hope this Helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back