Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Logins

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpibb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2002
US
I am getting familiar with Windows 2000 server for the first time. I set it up as the domain controller on a small network. Everythings works great, except that when a workstation logs into the domain, it takes up to 2 or 3 minutes for the login process to complete. It spends most of it's time on "Applying computer settings" or something like that. If I log into the local computer instead of the domain, I get a desktop almost instantaneously.

Can this problem be helped, or is it a necessary evil of using a domain? BTW, the workstations are brand new and running Windows XP professional.

There is an program on the site of Microsoft that accelerates the starting of the station, use the help of Windows XP it will give you the address, assure you that the user configure on the station and not just on the server.

is the profile to big?! have you tryed login with a smaller profile!? and have you count the time when login with that profile in anouther machine!??! is it the same or less!?
:)

This is a brand new user profile, so I guess that means its small???? Or is there a way to allocate the size you want? The time is the same regardless of the machine I use. All of the PCs are Celeron 1.4s with 256 MB of RAM and 10/100 NICs.

In response to the first e-mail, there is a local account set up as well.

No, I never did figure it out. I just set up the server not using a domain, since my time was limited. I would still love to know the answer for next time.

sounds to me like a DNS problem.. make sure that the client workstations are pointing to the Windows 2000 DNS server (usually your first domain controller) for their DNS information. Otherwise it will wait until it times-out before letting you log in. Generally, a few minutes.

I think this may very well have been the problem. I don't remember exactly, but I belive I was using static IPs in that instance, and I was not aware that it needed DNS servers specified. Thanks much for your help - it will be of great help next time I install one of these.

no problem.. glad i could help.. Windows 2000 relies on DNS heavily and it can be the source of many problems if not configured properly..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back