Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow logins/logouts/permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloose

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2006
US
This is a speratic problem on some compters and a continuing problem on others. The computers stay at the "loading personal settings" for extended periods of time. I assume it is reading from the domain server. A red flag that presents its self to me is when I go to check the "Security" on a folder or share and it shows me the code which makes no since till about a minute and a half later it shows the user names/group names. Then when your logging out it sometimes takes a very long time. Its almost like it is waiting for the domain server or there is incorrect information somewhere. because these computers shouldnt take this long to log in and the permissions shouldnt take that long to load! anyone know what my problem is?

yes im runing WSUS 3 and everything is up to date as far as I can tell.

My slow to boot problems had to do with automatic update. The most recent patches fixed the problem. Sounds like you already have this covered.

Anything showing in the Event Logs on the computers? Checked all of the DNS settings?

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

Long startup times could be attributed to incorrect permissions to network drives or drives that no longer exist. I've even had computers that took long to load because a network printer was taken offline.

What about the profiles themselves? Are you using local or roaming? What do the client logs say?

here are a few codes I got while doing a reboot.

Source: DnsApi | event ID: 11163 | Type: Warning

The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
with settings:

Adapter Name : {EDBCE275-FBA5-442E-886F-DFFA98619EBF}
Host Name : CL-016
Primary Domain Suffix : CampusLink.Corp
DNS server list :
Sent update to server : 192.1.1.1
IP Address(es) :

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS server failed the update request. The most likely cause of this is that the authoritative DNS server required to process this update request has a lock in place on the zone, probably because a zone transfer is in progress.

You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If problems still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
-----------------------------------------------------------

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( DataSvr ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: C:\Program Files\Wave Systems Corp\Authentication Manager\data\am.dat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back