Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SLOW LOGIN - Applying computer settings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespa61

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
Just added a new machine to my domain that has a fresh install of XP. The problem is that once I added it to the domain the login is EXTREMLY slow - it seems to be stuck on 'Applying Computer Settings' for anywhere between 2-5 minutes (its never the same amount of time). I checked the group policy on both the local machine and the domain policy and all settings are default for the local machine and the only domain policy in place is to end tasks automatically at shutdown.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan Lindstrom
Tri-Star Engineering

"Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

roaming profiles? if not maybe a user profile issue? does a local login start normally?

i have heard in the past that some problems with the "default user" profile can cause problems when creating new profiles, which might be related.

I think you are on to something with problems with my "default user" profile as for the same slow login occurs also when signing on as a local user.

What might be the problem with the default profile? How do I correct it?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan Lindstrom
Tri-Star Engineering

"Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have done something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a decorous age." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have you got any policy's running on the domain?

As soon as you give Windows XP some policy's it increases the startup time dramaticly.

Also if you have Windows XP on and active directory domain there is a policy that changes the behaviour of the Windows XP boot process which makes it boot in about the same time as a Windows 2000 computer. You do however have to set this policy manual so if you haven't done that its not active.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Try assigning a DNS server address instead of having Windows obtain one automatically. I had this same problem and this is what worked for me.

i had this problem for days on end, i'd say it was definitely a DNS issue.

best way i found to rectify it was to drop the pc from the domain, flush the dns (ipconfig /flushdns at cmd prompt)

then sort out the dns server address and dns names in your network settings, reboot and add back to the domain

good luck!!

seeking equality for goats

if none of the other suggestions are pertinent, the easiest way around a default user profile problem is to reload windows after formatting.

test this immediately after reloading and before loading any applications.

also, does the event viewer show any warnings regarding the logins? there might be clues there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back