Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Log In

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryhackl

Instructor
Sep 5, 2002
CA
Good day!

I'm desiring to migrate from Windows 95/NT4 to Windows 2000/XP machines. However, when I log on (with a user that is set up on a Windows 2000 Server Active Directory), it takes upwards of 2 minutes to log on.

I've tried to set up mandatory profiles, with limited success; the profile works just fine, but again, it takes upwards of 2+ minutes to log on.

Any suggestions on how to alleviate this time-consuming problem.

Thanks in advance for the help...

- Ryan

As with about 100 other posts in this place on the same subject, it is dns related. Ensure that all you 2k/xp pc's are pointing at the right dns server.

This will solve the problem.

Responses:
Trailman73 - no, I've set up mandatory profiles.

MarkMPM - thanks a bunch! Upon further view, I believe this is the answer!

Arteus - well, I guess now there will be another person (me) who will be able to offer assistance when the 101st question comes up...

Thanks to all of you...

- Ryan

ryhackl

I was merely alluding to the fact that these issues should be researched before being ennacted. It would save you time and a lot of dollars.

Good luck

There's something else that can cause very long login times - Kerberos UDP packets being dropped by a router on the network. The MS KB article doesn't mention this symptom, but I guarantee it's been the root problem so many times it's worth mentioning (though under no circumstances take this to mean your DNS shouldn't be reviewed - this is a must)

How to Force Kerberos to use TCP instead of UDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back