Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Info Web Server Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordhowe

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2001
AU
Users at our site access the Info Web Server which serves up the Info Desktop for Java which they use to log onto the APS. When there are more than say 20 or so users, the Info Desktop for Java slows down considerably, taking sometimes five minutes to display the Folder Hierarchy and / or to load reports and instances. This can occur even when the NT server that hosts the Info Web Server isn't particularly busy. Our report writers and a small group of users who use the Seagate software installed on the PC - the Info Desktop - don't have the same problem accessing the Folder Hierarchy. They can get quick response times while Web access users are slow.

Do other people have this problem ? Also, does anyone know how the Info DEsktop for Java communicates with the APS ? Is it via the Info Web Server or does it go directly to the APS ?

We are running Seagate Info 7.02. We have a single APS. The Info Web Server is installed on a second box along with a Report Server and the System Database (SQL Server).

You may want to check With Seagate support about this one - I heard that they possibly released some patches surrounding the CIWeb component of Seagate Info. The CIWeb component acts as an interface between web clients and the APS.

The Java Desktop communicates via the Web Access Server and there is a known bug in pre-MR2 versions of SI where the ISAPI plug-in has a memory leak. This affects the Custom Web Desktop, but I'm not sure if it also affects the Java Desktop.

If you monitor the IIS process in the task manager, does its memory utilisation creep up? If so you may find upgrading to MR2 (heck, go to 7.5 while you're at it) will resolve your problem.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Alan Eldridge
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks. I looked up the MR2 release notes and that seems to be the answer.

I'm having exactly the same problem with SI 7.5!

Lordhowe, did the MR2 release fix your problem?

Does anyone have suggestions as to what to try to solve this very slow access via java desktop issue?

many thanks Icytrue

icytrue@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back