Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow in loading a form in Windows 2000 Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctest

Programmer
Apr 12, 2004
US
Are there any known performance issue in loading VFP6 forms in a Windows 2000 Professional workstation when the forms are located in a SBS 2000 machine?

Thank you for any help.

Not that I can think of, could be two lots of virus checkers slowing things down?

You could try packing your project and forms - to remove any deleted code - before compiling

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Griff,

Has tried disabling the anti-virus program. Also,using a Windows 98 SE workstation to load the same form is quick.

Are the secondary running programs similar on the W2K and the W98SE systems? Do they have equivalant memory configurations? (W2K normally needs at least 64MB more RAM.) Do the have the same network cards and are they similarly connected to the server? (e.g. Through the same hub.) Do they have equivalant video cards and up-to-date video drivers?

Comparing two systems isn't always an easy thing - especially when they are running different OS's.

Rick

Rick,

RAM is not an issue in this case since some of them have more than 600MB RAM. I don't have detail on the secondary running programs but they should be similar except the application/services installed with the OS. Don't have the info on netword cards and video cards. But the problem does not occur if running other applications (I assume non-VFP applications). Also copying and opening files on the server from the workstations have no problem too.

It is just somehow it takes about 1 minutes to load up a VFP form. The strange is if the workstations are Windows 98 SE, then the problem is not there.

When you right click on my computer, on the advanced tab what are the performance options and virtual memory? Is it optimized for applications?

Regards,

Mike

create a special debug version of your program that will allow you to see under the hood somewhat. Find out what line(s) of code it's choking on...there has to be a bottle neck there somewhere and it'd be a lot easier to diagnose the problem if you knew where that slow down was coming from. I doubt the problem is related to VFP forms in general.

boyd.gif

The issue is resolved. The anti-virus on the workstations are not disabled correctly.

Thank you everyone.

Hmmm, that was my first guess!

Well done PCTEST!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back