Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow hard disk spin up

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanqui

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
After going into sleep mode, my Compaq PResario 5030, purchased in 1998 (P2 333Mhz) often doesn't want to wake up completely. If sleep mode has been a short nap, it's not really a problem. But if it's been several hours, the video will come back on, but it's black background with white mouse curser which doesn't move. I have to restart with the restart switch--soft boot doesn't work. Do I have a mechanical problem with the hard drive, or could it be a power supply problem? I don't seem to have other problems that would indicate either.

The hard drive platter shaft could be getting sticky. there's not much you can do if this is the problem except get you data off while you still can. It also might be the power supply, changing it out may solve your problem.

Back up important data now!!!

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thanks for the advice--looks like it's time for a full system backup. *sigh* --Not looking forward to shopping for a hard drive--nor opening up that stupid compaq case to install it. INstallation and configuration will be the easy part!

I definately agree with backing up all critical data ASAP. I have seen this problem before on a homebrew system. We tested all the hardware and came up empty, but strangely enough the problem went away when we upgraded them from Win98 to WinXP. I believe it was an issue with the power managment drivers or video drivers coming out of sleep mode, because the only way I could get it to come back was with a cold boot. I know this doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but it's all I could come up with since the problem went away after a system upgrade (yes we still have sleep mode turned on).

You might want to try turning sleep mode off on the video card and monitor and check to see if it still locks up after a long idle time?

stop using 'sleep' mode and i'd bet your problem goes away. sleep/hibernation reduces power to you system. electronic power up is not instantantious, it takes awhile to get to 100% (some electronic parts takes five minutes or more to get to full power, i.e. resistors).

(my theory is)
sleep mode is a stupid idea anyway. who would want their computer to take a nap? turn your computer on. leave it on all day, turn if off when you are done with it.
(a theory is like a fart.. everybody thinks it's the other person's that stinks.)

wileya is on the right track. Simply go into your bios and turn that feature off and your computer will be fine.

If you don't have the problem after the machine has been off for a similar amount of time the problem isn't the hard drive.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back