Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow/Hang when accessing network files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechInNeed

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
CA
I know that this is almost a duplicate thread of what I posted awhile ago, but the problem still exists.

Main File Server: Windows Small Business Server 2000
Problem Workstations: Windows XP Professional

Ok this is a very weird issue that I am experiencing. When I boot up an XP client everything works fine. That is, internet, printing and accessing files on the Small Business Server box. But, when I leave the XP machine running over night or for a period of time during the day (idle), major problems occur. When the user (Windows XP) tries to access a file over on the server, it will take a ridiculously long time to open, close, save, modify the file. Files include word and excel files. Sometimes, it does not allow me to browse the network through Windows Explorer and just hangs.

Please note that Windows 2000 clients works fine. Seems to be platform specific.

Also, note that I recently reformatted a Windows XP box and reinstalled the OS and the problem still exists.

Please help or comment as this is an ongoing issue and is in urgent attention.

So sorry that I have not posted a follow up on my issue. From the many links and threads that were provided here by many useful sources. The following worked for me.

-optimize for perf option
Right Click "My Computer" -> "Properties" -> "Advanced" tab -> under Performance "Settings" -> choose "Adjust for best performance"

*****Quoted from somewhere again ******* (thanks :) )
-this may speed up your networking - no harm in trying.
"Speed Up Network Access with an LMHOSTS File
=============================================
Technically, this isn't a new feature, as it's been available in all networked versions of Windows. If you're running a small network, you can speed up access to shared folders and files on other computers by creating an LMHOSTS file. This file is like a telephone book that the computer uses to lookup IP addresses for the different computer names on your network. This file can save a second or two each time your computer searches for a computer on the network. Just perform these steps to make an LMHOSTS file:
1. Click Start and then click the Run command. In the Open text box type c:\windows\system32 and press [ENTER].
2. This opens a window to the system32 directory. Click the File menu, point to New and click on Text Document.
3. Double click on the New Text Document icon. On each line of the LMHOSTS file, type the name of the computer and the IP address of that computer. For example:
192.168.1.1 GATEWAY
192.168.1.2 MYSERVER
192.168.1.3 MAILSERVER
4. After typing in the IP addresses and names of the computers on your network, click the File menu and click Save As. In the File name text box type the following exactly: "lmhosts"
5. It's important that you include the quotation marks so that the file isn't saved as lmhosts.txt. The LMHOSTS file does not have a file extension. Now when you try to connect to a computer on the network, your computer won't have to broadcast over the network in an attempt to find the IP address of the destination computer. It'll just look in the LMHOSTS file and make the connection right away!"
-------------------------------------------------------

I presume this was the documentation on deleting a registry key that you found:
"Speed Up Viewing Network Shares
If you run Windows XP on a network, there's a good chance you want to connect to shared folders on other computers on the network. Some users have reported accessing shared folders on the network is pretty slow (although I have to admit I haven't seen this problem). However, if you experience long delays before you can connect to a shared folder on your network, here's a tip that might help speed things up for you:
1. Click Start and then click the Run command.
2. In the Run dialog box, type regedt32 in the Open text box and click OK.
3. In the Registry Editor navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
4. Once you get to the entry, right click on it and click Export.
5. In the Export Registry File dialog box, type remotecomputer in the File name text box and click Save. The registry file will be saved in the My Documents folder.
6. Now right click on that folder and click Delete. Click Yes in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box.
If you want to restore the Registry Key, just double click on the file you saved when you did the export procedure."

cheers
Pete

********END QUOTE**********

- applied these patches on the server and also applied the patch on XP systems.
1. Windows 2000 Security Patch Flaw in SMB Signing Could Enable Group Policy to be Modified
2. Windows XP Flaw in SMB Signing Could Enable Group Policy to be Modified

- TCP/IP settings -> Point the DNS server to the ip of the main server
- Disable Login Scripts
- Disable file and print sharing on the XP machine -> under My Network Places
- Disable QOS Packet Scheduler -> under My Network Places

Note: Some may not be needed to "fix" this issue, but with all the above combined, it worked for me.

Post your results :)

Good luck.

I know most of us should know but does the XP system have at least one user password.

Boomer2Dad2,

No, it can be set to have blank or empty passwords. In this case, however, it is a domain setting and you need to be slightly tricky to permit blank passwords in this setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back