Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow FPD 2.6 on Win2000 Terminal Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haldane

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2002
NZ
I have 50 users running a FoxPro2.6 Dos App on NT4.0 Terminal Server.
We have recently purchased a Win2000 terminal server to split the user load.
When the users log in through the new terminal server and fire up the FoxPro App it runs at least 10X slower than on our old NT4.0 server.
The environment variables and config.nt settings are exactly the same as the old terminal server.

Our new terminal server is a Dual PIII 1000 with 2GB Ram
Our old terminal Server is a Dual PII 450 with 1GB Ram

Terminal services runs the application in the server if you have 50 users it is just like running foxpro application 50x. The question is, don't you get access denied in foxuser.dbf when you run foxpro? Especially when you are using foxuser.dbf as set resource to foxuser.dbf

Our Company has just moved on to windows2000 from windows NT4.0

the proble which we are facing is that we cant run foxpro2.6 for windows on it. It installs sucessfully but when we try to run it, it gives the followoing error
"Divide By Zero Error"!

what should we do??????????

Go to thread182-50100 for a discussion on FP for Windows' "High Speed CPU / Divide by Zero" fix.

Rick

Have you solve your problem, Haldane? Our company also experience this problems too!!!

After migrating to W2K terminal server + Citrix Metaframe XP, the FPD26 application would be run but the performance is degraded. Now I'am headache for the following problems :

(1) The general response time is slower.
(2) The applications would become slower and slower and seems stop. But after the users disconnect and then login again, the performance seems normal. Or reboot the server.
(3) When printing report, the last few lines will not be printed until a couple of minutes (may be 10 min or until disconnect)

Is the problem of the application? or server problem?
Any suggestion or recommendation?

I found that our performance issue was due to NAV auto-protect. As soon as I disabled auto-protect our FoxPro app worked perfectly and twice as fast as our old system. I tried to put in an exclusion so that NAV would not scan the foxpro app on startup but it didn't work.

Smallpotato,
I still have a similar problem when printing large reports, the last client record won't print, you could try playing around with the timeout settings under printer properties.

We have 100+ users running a FPW application on Terminal server. We have found that you must disable the norton virus scan (comes standard on Dell servers). This slows down large database applications tremendously. We use Panda instead. Hope thiMT
lps.
Jane

The answer is on all the message be4, exclude all dbf,fpt,cdx from the virus proctection software and it should run on normal speed

NAV disabled and network speed is still slow in win NT 4 envvironment. Any further would be helpful.

Thanks

you may leave nav enabled,just add netbui protocol and set it as default protocol.

We have the same problem... previously reported.

FPD2.6 on W98 works like a charm across the network.

As soon as I added 4 Dell's Win2000 3 P4 's and one Celeron.

NO END OF PROBLEMS.... Unstable; slow; conflicts; and a really cute error which reports "NOT A DATABASE FILE".. seems to happen when 2 m/c s are accessing same app.... If one app is closed then the second works just fine.

I have not yet tried using TAMEDOS yet (search the links here and they will lead you to it (I think it is tamedos.com) BUT THAT WILL BE TOMORROW'S JOB....

I am sorely tempted to wipe the W2000 and reinstall W98 and see.....

It is nice to now you are not alone with this problem.

FoxEgg

Is it the Dells
Is it the P4
Is it the Win 2000
(we actually Do have NAV on these M/cs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back