Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow file listing when browsing the network from XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoingle

Technical User
Feb 22, 2005
US
ok, this is for the real microsoft gurus......I have a client that has a small 8 system network. They just recently bought 3 new HP/Compaq dc5000mt systems with Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 (original OEM load) on NTFS. They have turned one of the new systems into a "pseudo server" (server/workstation). They make signs and they keep all their old jobs in one folder for the program they use to create the signs. The folder has close to 10,000 files and is about 2.5GB. The folder is shared and share name is "jobs" and is mapped to the other computers. When one of the new XP systems click on the network drive or they open the folder through the "open file" on their program; it takes about 30 seconds for it to pull down a list of all the files. First I think hard drive, or hub or all the other usuals that would bottleneck it. So I checked out the hardware stats on the "server" while they accessed the folder and pulled files. And it hardly did anything to the machine. What I noticed was when the XP machine is getting a list of files from the server, the network bandwidth being used was a steady 250k for about 30 seconds. As in something is limiting the bandwidth to get the list of files. I thought maybe something was wrong with the switch, so I tried to copy over some large files from the folder and it flew! So what I did next was went to a Windows 98 system they have and pulled the folder up and it puled a list of the files down in 2 seconds, and I went back and looked at my protocol analyzer on the server and it had spiked up to like 10MB when the 98 system got a list of the files. So at this point I know its not the server itself. Something on the XP workstation that is requesting the files is makin it limit it. So I was thinking it is an XP thing. But then I connected my Dell laptop with Dell's OEM load of Windows XP Pro SP1 and opened the shared folder and it also brought down a list of the files in like 2 seconds and I looked at the server and the network speed had spiked up like the 98 system. So it is nothing to do with the TCP/IP settings theirselves (which is the only protocol installed) because I can copy over files from system to system in no time. And there is no delay in accessing systems on the network. I have them all set up on static and have them all in lmhost files. I can pull all systems up very fast and all shares very fast. But there is some kind of bandwidth limitation when these new HP systems are getting a list of the files. Anybody have any idea??

When I have these types of issues it always seems to be one or more of the following:

Driver
Link speed settings
SP2 Firewall
Switch port settings
Cable problem (pinch, etc)

Just giving you some ideas.

FRCP

You should need lmhost files...

Get rid of them...

If all of the computers are on the same network and can broadcast to each other, then you don't need lmhost files.

You can use a hosts file if you want...but lmhost files mimic WINS resolution. Windows 2000 and higher OS are DNS centric (HOSTS file can be used here)...

Do you have a domain? I don't think you do...but if you do, make sure that all internal machines point to the local DNS server (not the ISP's).

-late

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

- All firewalls are turned off.
- Driver could be possible but still hard for me to believe, I will give it a try.
- if it was link speed settings, switch port settings or cable problem , it would also be slow when I transfer files, which it has no problem with that at all. It is surprisingly fast when it comes to actually transfering files. I copied a 50MB file in a second ot two.
- I need to correct myself, I didn't mean lmhost file, I meant host file. I was thinking about what I was going to write about the 98 workstation and I got on a 98 fame of mind. And you are correct about the domain, it is not on a domain, just a workgroup.

The switch is fine because I plugged my laptop into the same wall port as one of the XP systems having the problem.

I truely believe it is going to be some parameter in the registry. But I dont know what getting a list of files parameters would be under at all. When I watch the speed monitor, it hits the system in a split second, but the data transfer speed plateaus at about 250k while it receives the info for the list of files. Once it shows the list of files, the data transfer stops. Untill I open a file then it shoots up to 75Mbps for about a second or two.

What os is the server using? It looks like your saying one of the xp machines is acting as a server. If so, you need to post this in the xp forum. If not, check the log files on the w2k server. Good luck.

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
"Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough."
Groucho Marx

i had a brand new server freeze up when users would try to access files. after troubleshooting with Microsoft for 7 hours we figured out it was because of the anti-virus software. i would disable all the 3rd party software (services and start-up items) and see what happens

They have NAV 2004 but I totally uninstalled it and tried it, with same results.

I looked in the XP forum, there wasn't anything in there on netowrking, just XP as an operating system. Thats why I put it on this one.

Fair enough. Did you check the log files on the "Server"? Just curious.

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
"Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough."
Groucho Marx

Logs are perfect, I am bringing a system over there with a true Microsoft OEM load of XP SP1 and seeing what it does. And if it does fine then I'm going to install SP2 on it and get the same results, I'm thingking it is going to work fine, I am thinking its something in HP/Compaq's OEM install of XP.

Have you tried tweaking these settings on the XP clients?

Make sure IEEE Authentication box is unchecked (under Network Connections > Properties > Authentication tab).
This option is used for Wireless network cards. Can cause significant delays when writing (saving) files to the network.

Computer Browser and Web Client services should be disabled (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services).
The Computer Browser service on XP will try to be Master Browser on the network. Can cause 30 to 45 second delay when logging onto network. Also causes delay when clicking on network share.
The Web Client service is only required if you are doing programming on an Internet web server. Just one more place your computer will look for network resources.

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

on these particular machines, have you tried to remove all the Windows XP "enhancements"? I know that this should have NOTHING to do with network connection issues but hey, this is Windows, one NEVER knows.....

In the Advance tab of the System Properties window, choose the Setting button in the Performance area. Then choose the "Adjust for best performance" radio button. Worth a try, no? <shrug>.

GL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back