Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow exchange backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

simongraham

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2001
GB
BE 8.5 Rev 3572 with Exchange Backup Agent with hotfix 238549.
Other software installed includes Exchange 5.5 SP4 and Norton AV.

Exchange mailboxes backup takes an excessively long time (>20 hours). The following error is returned for many users and many mailboxes:

WARNING: &quot;<user> [<username>]?Top of Information Store?Sent Items?RE: <message> &quot; is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Do you have any ideas how we can improve this performance?

Ok a couple of ideas here. First only backup those mailboxes whose lose of more than 2 business days would have a direct impact on the bottom line of your company. Secondly, is the AV product reading each piece of mail during backup? If so use a pre and post script to run NET STOP and NET START.

As for the missing boxes, 99% of the time the this is because the mailbox you're trying to backup is not accessable at the user level by the account used to start the services for the backup software.

HTH

I assume you are running a brick-backup. The following may help.
If you look at the Event Viewer for Event ID 1221 this willl tell you the amount of unused space within the Public & Private Information Stores which is backed up with in the databases. If it is a significant amount you can run Eseutil /d to decrease them.
This may reduce your backup time.

Cheers, Mike46

Thanks, folks.

I tried these ideas and no dice. Stopping the AV service seems to make no impact and the public and private IS seem to have about 1Mb and 24Mb free respectively. I have also confirmed that the account has administrator rights.

Any more ideas please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back