Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow dual LAN hostname lookups

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddified

Programmer
Aug 8, 2008
US
When my computer is on two LANs (one of them is really just a virtual lan using cisco vpn client), if I do ANY kind of connection (ping, mysql queries, etc) using the computer name (not the IP) of one of the computers on the real LAN, then the initial connect is REALLY slow. For example, when ping'ing, it hangs for a few seconds before it outputs any data, but each ping reply is quick after the first connect. So I assume it's a DNS issue.

When I ping it again, it hangs for a few seconds again before showing the replies. Once I disconnect the VPN, it's fast again. (remember, the machine in question is on the real lan). Or if I use an IP address, it's fast, even with the VPN connected. How can I prioritize traffic by computer name using the O.S? (ie, Is there a way to tell the O.S. to first look on the real LAN instead of the VPN, but only for certain computer names)
Failing O.S. configurations, how can I hack the Cisco VPN client to only use the VPN for certain computer names, etc? (I've already done an exhaustive search using the cisco vpn UI, and don't see any options for what I need... )

I'm using Vista 32-bit.

Any ideas?

I believe what you're asking about is called "split tunnel"

"In a VPN context, split tunneling is the term used to describe a multiple-branch networking path. A tunnel is split when some network traffic is sent to the VPN server and other traffic is sent directly to the remote location without passing through the VPN server."

It is controlled by the VPN Server.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back