Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow DSL speeds on FTP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

hojoho

Technical User
Mar 8, 2003
US
I am running a FTP server using WS_FTP server. I also have an adsl connection running at 1500/256 kbps. I have had dsl for a while so I know everything is working properly, but for some reason, my users aren't getting but about 25 kbps. And this is with only one user connected. The weird thing is their upload speeds are about 35 kpbs which is a little faster than their download speed. I don't have any speed restrictions on my users and I have used a few other FTP servers and the same thing happens, even down to the exact same speed. I have gone to dslreports.com and my speed is just as advertised, but when a user is downloading, even one user thats on a T1, my speed drops from 1389 kbps to 135 kbps. But his speed is still only 25 kbps. I am running Win2K Advanced Server and am behind a D-Link 704 4 port router. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hello,

I had the same problem with my ADSL-connection and I where adviced to download a new connection-software called RASPPPoE and run this on my machine. And after that I had the promiced upstream speed on my connection.

Stig

on dslreports.com did you perform a tweak test? Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA
[americanflag]

has a handy little tcp/ip analyzer to see if your registry settings are appropriate for your broadband connection. Their utility has saved me from having customers tweak their registry unnessarily. Also, with Win2K Advanced Server this would not be necessary since 2000 is already set up for broadband, as is XP (or as it is advertised). =) I would try using a different pppoe client and also try testing the speeds without the router there as well.

Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back