Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow down

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimace

Technical User
Feb 14, 2001
GB
System is slowing down noticeably around 15 mins after boot-up. I have used System Mechanic but this has not resolved. I have used windows utilities but no luck. Upon rebooting the system works fine again for similar time period before slows down. System is Duron 700,128meg ram, fic az11e mthboard, ibm 75GXP 30mg harddrive,win 98. Also having occasional problem whereby incoming phone call to house causes computer to crash (generally while playing games). Any help would be appreciated.

First of all check to see if you have any power management setting enabled and disable them, both in the BIOS and in windows. While your in the BIOS check to see if you have a "wake-on modem"(or some type of setting for the modem to wake your computer) and disable that also. Then make sure you don't have any software waiting to answer the phone if it rings...Let me know what you find.

Alex

And see if your fans are slowing down. You might also want to reseat the processor. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

What programs are running in the background, is your AZ11E set to auto, or are you messin' with the jumpers?

What video card are ya running?

Is is slowing down just sitting on the desktop?

What about Allocated ram, unused Physical ram, Swap file size, and Kernal usage? This can be found out using System Monitor in Accessories..if ya loaded it.

Did ya remove the plastic from fan before latching it to the CPU?

Is your Fan proper....IE. does it cool the CPU, or just beat the air into submission?

What is the temp in bios?

Is your Power supply certified by AMD....the CPU's run hot!

Does it perform the same with all cards removed except video?

Sounds like if it's not a hardware problem you've got a memory leak...

Disclaimer:
Beware: Studies have shown that research causes cancer in lab rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back