Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow DNS for IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickarie

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
Here is my situation, network is made up of windows xp-pro (50), with a windows 2000 server DC, updated with all new pathes and SPK (called server1). Have firewall and router in place too. We use the router for DHCP and the gateway for network. All clients use server1 as DNS. I have noticed in last couple days that internet explorer loads pages up with a delay. If I change the dns on client to our ISP IP problem goes away. I do not recall making any changes to server configuration in last week. Load on server seem to be as usual. Client login to the domain fine with no delay
1. what can it be?
2. what happens if I change DNS to ISP on all client? (kind of know but i would like con. & pro)
Thanks

AD requires DNS, you must use your local DNS for this. After you switch your workstations to ISP DNS, you will have problems with domain authorization and some other.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Server primary dns is it own IP and secondary points to ISP. I belieave this is the way it should. Internal DNS forwarding configuration points to IPS. If it didn't I would not be able to get out to internet rigth?
Forwarding in DNS has a entery for mail that points to our web site that is hosted out side of our domain. If I change these setting our email gets in truble becase of DNS. I 'm not good in DNS fowarding stuff, could some explain to me I thought I had it configured right. It has been working fine for couple years.

DNS forwarding is OK. From your description it seems like your server is sending query to DNS server then waiting for timeout and then sending query to another DNS server. Perhaps ISP has changed DNS servers? Check the first server in your forwarders list.

And this perhaps is not the problem in this case but can be. In your server network configuration delete the secondary DNS server address (currently your ISP DNS server), leave this empty. Use only internal DNS as primary. The same on all workststions.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

problem was forwardind in DNS. For some reason forwarding tab was not checked on DNS. Went to DNS right clicked on server responsibale for DNS choose porperties,on Frowarders tab enable and typed the IPS DNS IPs.

You shouldn't need DNS forwarding to make it work.

If you are running AD then you already have DNS installed and running on your network. Assuming that it is functioning correctly, you shouldn't have your ISP's DNS servers listed anywhere in your network. All of your client PCs should get the IP address of your internal DNS server (Server1) listed as the DNS server. If you have a second internal DNS server, that should be listed as your secondary server, NOT your ISP's DNS server. On your domain controller/internal DNS server, the only DNS servers specified in your TCP/IP config should be itself and any other internal DNS server, NOT your ISP's DNS server.

This configuration will ensure that your internal systems are using your DNS servers for purposes of AD, etc. If you have your ISPs DNS server listed as a secondary server then your PCs may attempt to query those external servers to resolve internal AD related DNS requests. This is not good.

By default your internal DNS servers should have the DNS root hints installed. If they are installed then your DNS server will use those addresses to walk the Internet DNS tree to resolve external addresses. In my experience, it's usually faster to use your own DNS server for Internet access than the ISP's anyway, as the ISP's server may be heavily utilized. Just remember to configure your firewall to allow outbound DNS queries from your internal DNS servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back