Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow deletion of temp internet files

Status
Not open for further replies.

manjitplaha

Technical User
Nov 18, 2003
GB
hi,

was doing a disk clean up like i regularly do but when it gets to deleting the temporary internet files it seems to freeze. so i tried doing it through the tools option in IE but it freezes again. then i tried doing it manually- deleting the files in the folder myself, but surprise surprise, it freezes :(

can anyone shed any light on this??

thanks in advance... :)

manjit.

You could also try rebooting into Safe Mode and doing it that way.

Or booting with a bootdisk and deleting it from the C:\ prompt by going into C:\Documents and Settings\Username folder\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

thanks for the quick replies (this has been driving me mad all day!)

bcastner- this folder: "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" does not contain "Content.IE5"...

techsupportgirl- i should know... but i don't :( how do i boot into safe mode?

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

the Temp folder does not contain Temporary Internet Files folder

I had a similar issue not so long ago...

Check out Netcaptor from It's based on Internet Explorer but offers some great features. The best of which being its ability to group web sites together and its clean up function.

It may offer you a decent solution to your current problem.

manjitplaha,

It occurs to me to mention that you will not see the actual Content.IE5 folder if IE is open. Close all instances of IE and OE and then look for the folder under C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Two ways to boot into Safe Mode:

Close all open programs.
Click Start, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
Type msconfig and hit OK or press ENTEr.
Go over to the BOOT.INI tab
Check off /SAFEBOOT
Hit RESTART computer
The computer restarts in Safe mode.
Attempt to delete the temporary files
When you are finished with troubleshooting in Safe mode repeat steps 1-5, but in step 4, uncheck "/SAFEBOOT"
Restart the computer again to get back into normal mode.

OR

You can use the F8 option when the computer is booting. You have to press it at the right time. Sometimes it's easier to shut down the computer and do a cold boot and then hit F8 so that you get into it because with some computers it's more difficult for end users to get into Safe Mode from a warm boot.

I've been in both situations. The one I suggested and the one bcastner did.

Try both and report back please? :)

Hi...which disk cleaner were you using? A third party's or the XP utility you can invoke from "properties"?

I would guess there might be either a corrupt file, some viral activity, or imcompatible software if 3rd party. But you say you tried to delete from Explorer directly, so probably it's not the cleanup software, unless it's Norton...

Hope this helps narrow down your choices.

i tried deleting the "index.dat" file as suggested but it kept saying that it was in use (even though i had closed down the programs i was supposed to...)

so i booted in safe mode and went to the folder and deleted all the files... and it didn't take long at all! :)

BUT..... (and this was happening before too but i forgot to mention it) when i empty the recycle bin, even if it only has a small text file in it, it takes an abnormally long time to empty... and freezes up everything else too... :( so any suggestions for this??

thanks all for you suggestions, they are *greatly* appreciated :)

manjit.

Try doing the Safe Mode for the Recycle Bin as well.

And may I suggest something? You may have already done this but in case you didn't, please consider the following:

I think it's time you do a serious cleanup of your machine. There are a million reasons why your computer is locking up and without one of us actually looking it over, it is impossible to isolate the problem.

A study was just done on Spyware. They said (and don't quote me because I don't remember the actual statistics) but let's say they tested 10 computers, 80% of them were *infested* with Spyware.

Spyware, Malware, whatever you want to call it is no longer just about putting a cookie on someone's machine. It can hijack your browser, insert malicious code via Active X scripts, place executables on your computer which call up remote servers or functions which can sap a machine, and so on.

What I would do if I were you is this:

1. Install Anti-Spyware & Removal Utilities such as Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Merjin's Hijack This!, and just do a google on spyware removal utils. Download them, update them with new definitions, and scan your computer.

It is best to do these scans in Safe Mode by the way.

2. Update your virus definitions and do a full system scan. If you don't have time to wait, leave your computer on and before you go to sleep start the scan but make sure you tell it to automatically clean or quarantine any infected files.

Do these weekly! You cannot afford your machine getting compromised. I do virus/spyware scans on Friday evenings. Even once a week is no longer sufficient but as a 24/7 Systems Admin I am not afforded much in the way of time.

3. Get ONE program like Symantec's Systemworks which can do defrag, chkdisk, and WinDoctor (this scans the registry and repairs missing or invalid pointers). Do this once, and then subsequently once a month.

4. Update Windows every week as well. windowsupdate.microsoft.com

There are a gazillion security holes out there. Patch them up as quickly as you can. And especially on a machine that is connected 24/7 to the Internet.

5. Watch what you download. Don't just download a program because it looks cool or some guy on Google's Groups says its cool. Make sure you know what's going into your system. Just like you wouldn't just put anything into your mouth because you may be poisoned; watch what you are installing on your box.

6. Start a personal software arsenal. Keep bootdisks, driver disks, system information, etc at the ready. A long time ago I put everything for one machine in a plastic bag and stashed it inside the chassis of the machine so the documentation and disks wouldn't get lost. The more you have at your fingertips will lessen the amount of time it takes to troubleshoot the box.

7. Regularly clean out Temporary Internet Files, History, Cookies like you have done today. I'd rather have to sign into a website I regularly visit (like our own beloved Tek-Tips, then have something lurking in my box I'm not aware of)

8. Get a hardware or software firewall.

9. Read about locking down and securing your machine.

10. Add/Remove programs you no longer want or need.

11. Remove programs which are starting up unnecessarily when your computer comes on. Do you really need Yahoo!, AOL IM, MSN Messenger, RealPlayer, ICQ and God knows what else all starting up at the same time?

Keep track of your computer's performance using PerfMon. What is sapping your processor?

Just some tips. Once you get rid of all the junk, you may find your computer is running a heck of a lot better than it was.

Good luck!

thanks for all the tips... and i do do all of them regularly, just don't know what happened today :(

re the recycle bin... it does delete but it does it incredibly slowly and i don't want to boot it into safe mode everytime i want to empty it!

i ran my virus checkers yesterday and there wasn't anything, but haven't run spybot's s&d in a while, so i shall do that now.

defragged.... still takes ageeees to delete a 0 byte text file :(

Lets rebuild your recycle bin and its index:

Go to Start/Run/CMD:

Type: cd.. enter cd.. enter
then, Type: attrib -s -h recycled [enter], Type: del recycled [enter], Restart the computer.
Or go to Start/Run/CMD and type in: rd /s /q c:\recycled
Restart the computer.

XP will rebuild the recycle bin and index on restart.

Source: Kelly Theriot

It is a folder. C:\Recycled
If you have Norton AV it is called c:\Recycler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back