Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Debug

Status
Not open for further replies.

majkinetor

Programmer
Feb 21, 2006
RS
I have the following problem: when I debug application I have to wait for all dll's to be loaded a very long period of time (minute, two or even more). This is partial content of debug window:

'unl.exe': Loaded 'D:\Work\Code\Visual Studio\test\unl\Debug\unl.exe', Symbols loaded.
'unl.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', No symbols loaded.
'unl.exe': Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', No symbols loaded.

Over 20 dlls are loaded and some take more time then others.When this list is over application starts in debug mode.

I have this applicatin which can be debuged normaly in VS 6.0 but when I convert it, the slow debug begins. I thought that there is something in conversion process that isn't handled correctly, so I created app again in VS7 from ground up but when I finally made it work, it behaved the same as converted.

Project Non-Default parameters:
Preprocessor: WIN32,_DEBUG,_CONSOLE,_MBCS,WINNT,_AFXDLL
Code Generation: Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)
Basic Runtime Checks: Both (/RTC1, equiv. to /RTCsu)

Command Line:
/Od /D "WIN32" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_CONSOLE" /D "_MBCS" /D "WINNT" /D "_AFXDLL" /Gm /EHsc /RTC1 /MD /Yu"stdafx.h" /Fp"Debug/unl.pch" /Fo"Debug/" /Fd"Debug/vc70.pdb" /W3 /nologo /c /Wp64 /ZI /TP

-----------

This is not the only application with witch I have this problem. Several other applications I converted from VC6 to VC7 did the same. Am I doing something wrong or overseeing some compiler switch.....

Thx for any help.

... the only comment I'd add is that slow computers exist, and are used every day. I suspect that globally more useful work is done by old slow computers than super-fast modern ones. Replacing all your PC stock every year is expensive and outrageously environmentally damaging.

It is a continual moan of mine that applications developed on the latest in PC technology are often deeply frustrating and barely useable when released into the real world of last year's machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back