Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosmcse

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2005
US
I have a client that if they connect a computer with a cable that is more than 150feet (175feet to be exact) to their switch their internet connection is extremelly slow, if they use a cable that is 5-10 feet their connection is perfect. IS their anything I should look on the switch to see why this is happening.

If I had to guess it would be a wiring issue since you have it isolated to runs 175 feet or more which is not that far.
Does the cabling pass CAT5 certifcation?

Forgot to mention if you issue a
"show interface fastethernetx/x"

where x is your port number you should be able to see if there are any errors on that specific switch port.

Speed/duplex mismatches between the switchport and the client nic card setting.

The cable is a new run to try to fix the old one, it passed Cat5e certification and the spped/duplex changed to 100 full on the switch port and on the NIC card, still having issues, again I the cable is a 10-15 feet long there's no problem in speed, we also tried to connect different computers different ports on the switch but for some reason we have this problem with every pc with a long cable run about 150-175ft. I'm going to lose my mind over this.

The only other thing might be you have sort of strong electromagnetic field somewhere in the run , draped across florescent lights , near electrical motors etc if the cable is new . What kind oif switch are they running to ?

Dont know if this will help but if you can crimp a cable you can take 150' of cable and leave it in a coil and put ends on it and try it right near the switch. Then you could rule out some kind of interferance.

Thanks Vipergg and Kwing112000 and everyone else for the sugestions, I tried everything mentioned and the problem is still there. I'm going to swap the switch to see what happens.

Thanks all for the help

so what model switch is it anyway?
I'd be interested to know if replacing it fixes your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back