Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow connection speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaran

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
GB
I recently bought an hardware external 3COM US Robotics Faxmodem off a friend. He used to get a 49k/s connection speed but i only get 44k/s (and sometimes 42,333b/s). I updated the drivers from the web site but this did not improve the connection speed at all.

Even my old conexant soft 56k modem connected faster 45,333k/s (and it had significantly faster download speeds, 4.5-4.7k/s max) but the 3com modem only downloads at 3.9-4.0 max.

I have tried this modem on win98se, winxp pro and Best Linux. The same problem continues on all 3.

Correct, as it is a phone line issue not a computer issue.

the speed you get on modern modems is a result of your modem technology, the modem you call's technology, and the quality of the phone lines between them.

at 56k there are 4 'standards'

X2 is a USR standard, very few other companies bought it

K56Flex is a Lucent/Rockwell 'standard', widely used.

x.90 is the standard that is 'supposed' to merge them, but everyone finds that it still works best if the earlier standards match, ie:x.90/X2 to a x.90/X2 will be more robust than a x.90/K56Flex to a x.90/2

x.92 is a new standard designed to modernize and speed up x.90, so far is has not caught on, but it should. I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

so how do i get my modem to connect at v.90? (the other modem did)

1.simplify you internal wiring, the performance of you modem may be effected by other devices. (faxes, answering machines extentions)

2. Find the latest firmware and drivers for your modem:
3 if your ISP has v.90/X2 number call it, if not consider a ISP which does.

(BTW I typoed, v.92 is the newer v.90) I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

I downloaded the latest driver but this had no affect on the connection speed.

I disconnected all other devices from the phone line, this too had no affect on the connection speed.

I put a phone on the socket that my modem connect to and dialed "1" and just listned for any noise, there was silence appart from very slight distortion.

I know it is possible to connect at at least 45,333bps because my conexant modem did and still does.

Ciaran, the acid test would be to invite your friend to bring over his PC and see what speed he gets out his modem connected to your line. I suspect the speed of his connection would reduce to what you're getting...

Not sure exactly what you mean by "there was silence apart from very slight distortion" - do you mean you could just here some "white noise", i.e. very slight rushing sound?

I'd check out your phone circuits. Are you plugging your modem into the master phone socket, i.e. the main socket where phone line comes into your premises? Or does it run through some extension wiring before getting to the main termination? Check out any wiring, sockets, plugs etc., as they are renown for introducing noise, attenuation of signal etc. Try temporarily relocating your PC within reach of the master socket so your modem lead goes directly into it rather than through extension cables etc.

Having said all that, is the difference between 49Kbps and 44Kbps really that important...?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

My Modem is not connected to the master socket. There is a double phone addapter socket with another line built in which then goes upstairs where my pc is located. This wire seems old so i will try moving my PC as soon as i can so i can plug the modem into the master socket.

You ask me is there really much difference between 49kbs and 44kbs. Well with most people there probably isnt, but i download many large files up to 700 meg (linux etc), so a download at 4k/s is hours longer than at 5k/s.

Also what confuses me is that the modem which connects at 44k downloads much slower than the one that connects at 45,333 (this should not make much differnce but it does)You would not expect a 0.5k/s download speed difference for just a 1k/s connection speed increase. Both modems are configured the same in the modem settings in the control pannel.
Is this anything to do with the slower modem being external? I have tried the modem on COM2 as well as COM1. The port speeds (in the win.ini) match the max modem speed (115200)

As a general rule, external modems tend not to be WinModems and internal tend to be WinModems. WinModems are parasitic on your CPU and tend not only to be slow, but to slow down everything else your computer does while online. Not having a Winmodem is a good thing! I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

Well, it seems strange then that im getting a slower connection speed with a "real" modem.
I have a 650mhz AMD athalon processor and 256meg pc133 ram.

I understand your reasons for wanting to get the maximum speed out of your equipment. However, if you're doing these sorts of downloads on a regular basis, you ought to consider a digital connection to try and speed things up.

But first off, move that PC next to the master socket, make sure your modem cable is in good order, and that the plugs on both ends are clean and the metal connection fingers are bright.

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I cant get cable/dsl in my area (and a sat connection is 2 laggy 4 online games). But even if it was i doubt that i could get it because i dont have the £. I cant move my PC yet because its christmas, but i definately will try it later on.

Just to make you appreciate what speed you are getting...we are stuck on 24,000 where we live with one computer and usually 26,400 with the other computers. I would LOVE to get your "slow" connection speed as it would seem like lightening to us!

Happy Holidays!

Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back