Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Client Logon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK2001

Programmer
Oct 30, 2001
GB
My setup is as follows:-
Win2K3 Server DC
WinXP Desktop DHCP enabled
Draytek 2600we Router

When trying to logon to my home Win2K3 domain the client machine (after login credentials are authorised) takes several minutes to display the desktop. It seems as if the desktop pc is trying to resolve something via the routers external ip instead of going to my server - is this possible?

Any help would be appreciated.

First of all, make sure DHCP is turned off on the router. If it is enabled, this is likely your problem.

Second, if DNS is not installed on the domain controller, then install it. Make sure the workstation's only DNS entry is the IP of the domain controller, and make sure the domain controller's DNS entry is itself as well. Then open the DNS administration tool, view the properties of the server, go to the forwarders tab, enable it, and enter your isp's dns servers here.

Matt J.

matt,

Done eveything you said but i get a message on the desktop saying dns server does not exist and cannot find domain controller.

When does this message pop up? What are you trying to do when it occurs?

Matt J.

heres a lot of good info
personally look at the group policy post

thread779-540080

mattjurado, thank you...I'd been having the same problem for a while. WinXP Pro and W2K Server, XP Pro would take like 3 minutes at "Applying Personal Settings", it'd eventually logon and everything was fine from there, but initial logon would just take entirely way to long. I've since upgraded to W2K3 Server and of course had the same problem. Did what you suggesetd, already has DNS installed on the server, but was using my ISP's dns addresses. So I put the local machines IP as the DNS for the LAN connection and the two ISP DNS's for the DNS admin tool. Set the DC IP for the DNS on the client and now the login takes about .05 seconds!

However, one thing I did change is I added one of the ISP DNS to the LAN connection, along with the DC IP address, on the client (XP Pro) computer, becuase I found that if my server was down (or rebooting in this case) I wasn't able to get out to the internet (which makes sense)....so I changed that, but the login still works great.

Thanks again...have a star!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back