Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow CD burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewRandle

Technical User
May 27, 2001
US
I just got a 24X10X40 CDRW. The problem I'm having is that its not burning at it's top speed, only at 12x. My other cd-rom is a Pioneer 16x DVD. What's up with this? The cd-r disks support up to 24x.

Hi
In the burner software, there will be some place where you have to select the writing speed. You can increase the speed of writing and set that.
:) ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Andrew,

A couple things. First, the CDR disks that you use have a certain write speed printed on them. Some older disks only support up to 12X write speeds. Most newer burners such as the one you have are able to read the maximum supported write speed of the media you are using, thus preventing you from selecting a higher speed. Make sure the discs you buy support higher speeds (I'm not aware of discs that support speeds greater than 20x, though I'm sure they exist).

Secondly, DVD and CD specs are not equal. A 4x DVD-ROM drive will perform much like a 20x CD-ROM (or some similar ratio). The "x" stands for something different in both situations.

Hope this helps
~cdogg

Looks like I was slightly off:

DVD-ROM 2x = CDROM 20x

The "x" for the DVD spec is approx 11 MB/sec, while for the CD-ROM spec is 1.2 MB/sec. So, it's approximately 9 times faster. Of course, this is the "maximum" the drive can transfer, but the "average" will be lower.

Check this webpage out for more info:

cdogg,

The article says a 1x DVD-R writes 11.08 megabits per second.

If it were 11.08 Megabytes per second then a 6x DVD would be faster than my ATA/66 hard drive. X-)

I don't think so. Keep researching. ;-)

John

JohnS9051,

I think you slightly misinterpreted the article. We're not talking about DVD-R, just a regular DVD-ROM drive - not "write" speeds but "read" speeds.

Yes I agree that 11 MB/sec sounds a tad high. After doing more research, it turns out that I was a decimal off! ;-) It appears that it should have been 1.25 MB/sec, not 11!

However, there are a couple more links below that confirm that DVD 1x = CDROM 9x. Also, keep in mind that we are talking about the maximum possible transfer rate, or burst rate. Although your hard drive may average 40-45 MB/sec, it is capable of much higher burst rates (sequential reads of large files) close to 80 MB/sec.

Back to the original question: Why can't I "select" a writing speed faster than 12x?

What burning software are you using? The speed selections are based upon the software support, as well as what drives the software supports. Check for updates to the software or possibly (i doubt it) a firmware update to the drive.

Although I may be mistaken, I don't think the speed "selections" will take into account the "rated" speed of the media being used. For the most part I burn 2x rated CDRW media @ 4x without a problem.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Doug,

It depends on the software, media, and hardware. I have an Iomega 12x10x32x drive running with Roxio Easy CD 5. I have three different types of Media: 1x-4x CDRW CompUSA (generic), 1x-8x CDR Imation, and 1x-12x CDR Fujifilm.

Now, when I insert a CDRW after creating the disc layout and go to create the cd, it automatically sets the write speed to 4x as if it knows this is the max write speed that's supported by the media (even though my drive can burn at 10x). Oddly enough, if I were to hit cancel and insert the Imation CDR, it would change this value to 8x! So, you tell me if it's the media that makes the difference.

Maybe I've just gotten lucky enough to have the right configuration of hardware and media for this to happen! ;-)

I won't disagree with ya...I am running a relatively old version of EZ-CD (4.02d). All I see when beginning the burn process is the speeds, per media type (R versus RW) that I can choose. And although the CDRW media I am using is only rated for re-write speeds of 2x I am able to burn @ 4x.

I am here to learn as well as teach ;-)

I guess the question of the day is "Does CD-R/RW media encode any data on it which designates it rated speeds?" If what you are saying is true then I must assume this to be the case.

At any rate..back to the posted question from AndrewRandle. He has a drive capable of writing CDR's @ 24x, RW's @ 10x, and reading @ 40x. He is using CDR media that indicates support up to 24x, but his burning software is only indicating a maximum of 12x. My suspicion here would be the necessity for a burning software update to either specifically support his drive or generally support the higher writing speeds. I am not sure the max speed the Roxio products currently support.
Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

I follow you.....Before you select 4x, what is the default value in the pull-down list? 2x?

If I'm not mistaken, you can "force" the software to burn at a higher speed in later versions (such as the one you have), but perhaps it is recognizing the max speed before you change it to 4x. Just a thought...

Thanks for all the info! Could it be just the Program? (Nero Burning Rom) I just realized this but I had some old cd-rs that supported up tp 16x and that was what I was able to burn at. Now I have some Memorex cds that support 24x and I can only burn at half that. Odd?

Thanks!

maybe they are faulty cdr's?
definately always have the newest version.. just think, 4 years ago people would oo and aaa over a 16x cd burner, the fastest one out was either 4 or maybe 8x. there were no cdrs that would burn 16x, so the software written during that time has no settings above 4 or 8x.
try roxio's easy cd creator, it is far far better than nero.
also try some other 24x cdr's if you can find any. thats one of the downsides to having the newest stuff, you have to wait for support.

I found out what the problem was. I Disabled The "justspeed option". After doing that I can burn at any speeds. The only wierd thing was It said it had avoided 113 buffer underruns's. Not bad but Good

Thanks For all the Suggestions and Help!

Not to stir things up again, but I also have a 24X burner that is not performing. To answer all of the obligatory questions: 1) No, it's not the software. Unless Easy CD, Fireburner, Nero, and VCDEasy are all not working properly. 2) Yes, I am using certified 24x media. I've tried 3 different brands, in fact.

"burn proof" options, raw/cue options don't seem to have any effect. The best I appear to be getting is 16x.

The only thing I haven't tried is moving the drive from my secondary IDE channel to the primary, although I'm not sure how this would improve performance.

So, it does give you the "option" to burn at 24x, but it transfer speeds from the hard drive fail to keep up. Is that it? I guess the main question should be whether you're burning directly from another cd or from the hard drive.

With burn-proof turned on, it shouldn't fail, although the burn speed will be limited to the highest sustained transfer rate. Changing the IDE channel that the burner is on won't make a difference unless you're putting the drive by itself. If you mainly burn from the hard drive, keep it on the "opposite" IDE channel.

Ihave a similar problem too with my iomega, the softwear tells me im burnig at 8x (my top speed) but it can take up to 20mins a cd....shouldnt an 8x burn in about 10?? And i am using cds that are 8x certified...i'm using the lastest version of nero but i doesnt help my situation at all, anyone got any sugestions??

Cyclonus

Cyclonus,

What kind of cd are you trying to burn? There's also a slight chance that your CDRW drive has "burnproof" technology. If it does, then although the software says 8x, your drive is only going to go as fast as data can be thrown at it. Whenever transfer rates slow, burnproof kicks in and pauses the laser. This might be why it takes longer to complete. Just a guess. I would go to Iomega's website to verify if it does have burnproof.

Also, Data cd's take slightly longer to complete than Audio cd's in most cases. I would take a guess that an Audio cd for you shouldn't take any longer than 12 minutes. My Iomega 12x burns an audio cd in 7 min.

Please help!

I recently built a 1.47Gig AMD Athlon XP. I have 52X CD-ROM and 32x12x48 CDRW installed on my machine, both devices are made by Mitsumi. I cannot find the solutions that would support Mitsumi this speed. The Mitsumi website doesn't have the information pertains to these devices, all they have are the older version of CDRW. I am currently using Easy CD Creator 5.0 and have updated to 5.02d recently. The problem I cannot burn anything higher than 4X even though my burner and CD support higher than the burning speed. My CDR support burning speeds 1-16X. I can select the burning speed, but when the burning process starts, it set back to 4X. Any suggestion? Please advise...greatly appreciated in advance.

Please help!

I recently built a 1.47Gig AMD Athlon XP. I have 52X CD-ROM and 32x12x48 CDRW installed on my machine, both devices are made by Mitsumi. I cannot find the solutions that would support Mitsumi this speed. The Mitsumi website doesn't have the information pertains to these devices, all they have are the older version of CDRW. I am currently using Easy CD Creator 5.0 and have updated to 5.02d recently. The problem I cannot burn anything higher than 4X even though my burner and CD support higher than the burning speed. My CDR support burning speeds 1-16X. I can select the burning speed, but when the burning process starts, it set back to 4X. Any suggestion? Please advise...greatly appreciated in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back