Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SLOW BROWSING WITH VERIZON DSL CONNECTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWHOBBIES

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
US
WE ARE A BUSINESS USING THE INTERNET CONSTANTLY....

OUR SERVICE WAS INSTALLED BY VERIZON ABOUT MID AUGUST OF 2002...

AT THAT TIME...WHEN I USED THE SERVICE IT WAS VERY QUICK, I WAS USED TO MODEM, I COULD NOT DETECT ANY PROBLEMS, IT WAS GREAT.

ABOUT SIX WEEKS AGO I NOTICED OUR SERVICE WAS GETTING SLOWER...

SO NOW AT TIMES, AND MORE TIMES THAN NOT, THE SERVICE IS ALMOST AS SLOW AS A SNAIL.

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME ANYTHING....

GWH

theory 1) someone is listening to music online.

theory 2) someone is sharing illegal copies of music online.

will test the line speed, you want to do so when you are the only user, (every one asked to shutdown) and during peak slowdowns. if these theories are correct your idle speed will be as asvertized but your loaded speed will be way less.

theory 3) the ISP has oversold the bandwidth they have

in this theory even when your company is idle the DSL speed will be the pits.

their is a myth that DSL does not have slowdowns like cable, but in either case if the ISP sells more bandwidth than they provide, speed suffers (DSL just doe not let you go as fast when no one else is on, which cable does) I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Are you sure it's the DSL service and not your computer? How much free resources do you have?

jimbopalmer, not to sound like a jerk, but you shouldn't assume that the reason why someone's connection is slow is because they are listening to music or sharing illegal music online. I mean that really doesn't sound like good advice. There are many issues that will affect speed.

Is this an ADSL business class line or an SDSL business class line. It could be line issues. It could also be hardware failure either in the modem or in the cards, hubs, or router. It could be improper network configuration.
Have you tested your line speed?

As with any business class line you have the right to a prompt assesment of your problem and prompt repair if any is needed. Have you called Verizon, if it is an issue on their end they can look into it, they might also send you out a tech to check things out.

Have you tried switching the modem off waiting thirty seconds and then turning it back on. You should wait for the Power, ready and link lights to be full green and then try accessing the internet.

If in the end you can't seem to figure it out I'm sure Verizon will do something to help you as you have a business class line. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Another theory, if the web seems very slow but download seen to be about the same speed, the ISPs DNS service may be defaulted incorrectly.

You can often see a list of DNS servers in your router tables, ping each one to be sure it is still active. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Sorry to bother you experts but I am experiencing the same problem, although this is happening on the other side of the planet from where you guys are.
However, if I remember well, I did read somewhere (and please be sure I would be be reading it right now if I hadn't been so dumb not to save the link to my favs when I had a chance to) that many "slow performances" while using xDSL are introduced by mPPP and that a quick fix to the issue could be replacing the IP addess given by the ISP with a fake/local/non-significant one (something like 192.168.100.xx). Is this correct or is my brain gone KFC's?
Any suggestion and/or advice will be most welcome, guys.

Bye4Now
Oscar
Milan, Italy

GWHOBBIES,
I use Verizon also. I have noticed the same problem as well. The only fix that works for me is to telnet into my router from 'run' and enter may way through the internet access setup, do a connection speed test and then exit. I will probably place a tech call in a few weeks. The last time I had to call for a tech it took a week for them to get to it. It ended up being a damanged line, so they said.

MilanOscar,

Your fix is a non-starter. All that you will achieve is a loss of an Internet connection. The IP returned by your modem is a real live IP on the internet. You cannot arbitrarily put in an IP value and expect it to work, and most certainly not if it is an IP that is reserved for private IP addressing and non-routable as the 192.168.x.x range of IPs most certainly is. I think what was suggested is that if you are behind a router you can either use the router proxy server (likely 192.168.1.1) for DNS resolution, or "hard code" your ISPs DNS server IPs in TCP/IP properties.

A note though to all: because of various worms, etc. the internet for the last few days has been very, very, busy. I watch my firewall logs and I still get tons of attempts on port 135, and in the last three days an ocean of attempts of UDP 444x ports from the sobig worm.

Things are just slow at the moment.

Do nothing.

If you are in the east coast, it may be verizon that is having issues. Supposedly (my ISP claims) they are having problems with one of their backbones, and everyone is crawling. My d/l speeds have been kicked down to roughly 2X a 56K modem.

I can vouch for Verizon DSL being slow...I was one of the first to get it in my area back in 2001...and it was like my network at work at first, but has since degraded to dial up status when it comes to page loading...I moved two blocks away last year and it's the same deal at my new location...I think it is just oversold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back