Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow BrowSing on MS ServeRs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dball63

MIS
Jan 31, 2001
US
For the last few years I've worked in a Netware and MS environment. I have always noticed that browsing and accessing files was much slower on NT 4 servers that any netware server ever. Now that we are using Win2000 workstions I have noticed that this is even worse than it was with the Win9x clients......Accessing files on Netware servers is about the same but accessing or browsing folders using Explorer takes minutes now instead of seconds on MS Servers. The server isn't even being used at all yet. I hate to see what people say when it's more than just me connecting to it.
I know others have posted about this problem before but I never heard of a definite solution. Anybody got the answer?

DBall

dball63,

When Win2K attempts to browse shares on a Windows Me or Win9x machine, it also checks for scheduled tasks that are enabled on the machine. Disabling this check speeds the browsing. Perform the following steps:
1. Start regedit.exe.
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace.
3. Right-click {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}, and select Delete.
4. Click Yes to the confirmation.
5. Close regedit.

The results will be evident immediatly! Enjoy the new browsing speed.

-Brett

That didn't seem to work either......
With the reg setting and without took excactly 35 seconds to double-click a folder and open its contents.
There must be something else I'm missing here.

are there lot of mapped network drives??
How much is the RAM and how much is the page file size??
which option is selected in system properties -> advanced -> performance :- Is it background applications OR applications.

let me know.

prasanna

Mapped network drives, mostly netware volumes.
apx 10 to 12 mapped network drives
RAM typically 128MB Page file set to 256MB
Performance is set to Applications.

Normally the mapped network drives take up a regular ammount of bandwidth for the refreshing what windows does every now and then. My suggestion would be to remove the shares and test the browsing speed.

FYI: the best match between the RAM and page file is 1:1.5 i.e., 1MB RAM: 1.5MB page file. If you had to increase the page file size think about increasing the RAM also proportionatly....well this is again a "Money" issue; but it works that way.

prasanna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back