Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow booting time

Status
Not open for further replies.

suleayinla

Technical User
May 2, 2002
When my win98se is booting, i get a blank screen after the window splash screen finishes loading. This takes about 8 seconds before the desktop is displayed, but I don't have this with Dell machines. My windows splash screen seems to take longer to stay on screen. How can I improve this? Any help will be appreciated.

Sule

Can't address this specific issue without knowing a lot more about the hardware, AV software etc on this machine, but for general tips on improving system performance, check out some of the FAQs the Tek-Tips users have written. Lots of good ideas in there...

Are the pc's networked? On some pc's with "Client for MS Networks" activated as the primary logon, it is common to see a 5-10 second delay during bootup as it tries to detect a connection.

You wouldn't believe how common it is on about every home pc I've come across lately. I can easily shave 5 seconds off boot time by disabling Client for MS Networks (many pc's I've troubleshooted don't need it as the primary logon).

~cdogg

Thanks. The pc isn't networked and it isn't configured for Client for MS Network. A standy-alone with AMD K6-2/500 for home use. Overall I counted 80 seconds between the onset of windows splash and the onset of desktop screen. Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back