Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow boot up with XP home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mull

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
GB
Can any suggest why my PC boots up so slowly. The PC is about 10 months old has always booted up slowly. It usually takes over a minute. Once running performance isn't too bad. I have unistalled all of the Nortons Systems Works etc which hasn't helped.
Could it have been poor image when the PC was manufactured? If so would reinstalling XP help?

It an XP1600 with 512 DDR

Cheers

Have you done the necessary maintenance:
Cleanup temp files and internet cache
Run scandisk and defrag

Try not to load up My Documents...this can also slo down the system.

I would recommend running the Bootvis tool provided by Microsoft to diagnose and (hopefully) speed up XP boot times

It will give you a graphical representation of the processes and apps starting up when you boot the OS along with an option for the tool to optimize.

I ran into this problem before. It was caused by a beta service pack that wasn't from the Microsoft site and a few other faulty patches that weren't downloaded correctly and slightly corrupt. Be sure you download authentic service releases (from the Microsoft web site). You don't know who has tampered with them elsewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back