Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow bandwith when using internet explorer in a Rdp session

Status
Not open for further replies.

nootgevallen

Technical User
May 22, 2003
NL
Hello ,

I have a location that has a 1mb down and 1 mbit up connection 5 users or on rdp . When there is one starting to use internetexplorer in his Rdp session with images,the connection gets really slow for all users and starts to run at 400ms a second.

I even tried with 256 mb colors but that doesnt seem to work out a lot. seems to be on all different clients we use.

can i configure something so that it doesnt use all the bandwith ? or do i have to do something on the terminal server ?

help needed

tx

NOOT

Windows 2003 (terminal server)
Windows xp rdp
Thin client linux (connection manager sort of rdp)

You can try to set the rdp client settings for the following settings:

-low colors
-bitmap cacheing
-high compression

Some of these can be done thru the gui and some may need to be done by editing the rdp connection file.

You can see a file by going into rdp client and saving a connection file. Then, open it in notepad or text editor. You can see and adjust parameters there. There used to be additional options you can put in that were not in the GUI. I am not 100% sure if they are still available.

Thank you for your reply .

I have investigate some more and it seems that the macromedia flash is responsible for the cause of the problem .
Some site have flash that constately swap to different images every one or 2 sec .
I can disable(remove flash) but then i get people om my neck why its not working .

I did some of your above settings
low colors
compresion is set to 1 and bitmap caching is on to.
doesnt make a difference

Ok anyone else has a idea ?

Terminal Server sessions are not optimized for rendering multimedia, especially Flash, due to the "screen refresh" nature of Terminal Server sessions. The only way around this is to disable Flash content.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back