Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow backup speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougieoz

MIS
Aug 11, 2005
GB
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas to this issue i'm having.
Up unitl last week i was doing a backup direct to disk, and the throughput was 17 - 20 GB p/h. This has dropped to 1.7 and 2 GB p/h.
We have not changed anything in our configuration. I have tryed rebooting all the applicable servers, and still no difference.
The utilisation on the network card is pretty low as well.

Thanks

D

How long does it take to perform a simple file transfer between the client ida and the media agent?

No time at all there is no lag in copy files between the client and media agent.

Regards
D

What happens when you run diskread or robocopy on the mag volume you are backing up to?

Is it disk as in a storage system or DAS on a server?

If on a storage system, what about the performance of the controllers? Any disk failures?

The disk is a basically a server with several big disks, and the media agent writes to DAS.
There is no failures of disk, and the controllers seems to be ok.
Is there a tool from commvault you can use to see what performance you should get?

Regards
D

Hi

Use the DiskRead tool on the resource cd.

Also are your nics set to Full Duplex?...if not try setting them (CS,MA and client).

Hi,
all NIC's are set to Gigabit full duplex.

Regards

D

Have you tried creating a new, smaller subclient and seeing what throughput you get?

Also make sure you try the DiskRead util on the Resource cd to check that data can be read ok at the client end.

Personaly I think this is network related as you say that the nic utilisation is low (dodgy port on the switch?...seen that before!!!)

We rebooted the commserve including the CV database and this seemed to pick up the speeds. Not sure why.

Regards

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back