Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow backup rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

blubomber

MIS
Dec 27, 2001
US
I am currently using Veritas 9.1 on a windows 2003 server. The server hardware is an HP Proliant DL380, G4. I have an Overland LoaderXpress (Tape Library) connected to the server. Veritas correctly identifies the tape library as an Overland and the actual tape drive is an HP unit. SCSI 320 connection and all.

The problem is is that even doing a loca backup of just the host server, the data transfer rate is only 200MB/min. I would guess that number should be higher and i hope to get it higher because that is only backing up 3GB of data. I have some other servers i need to backup info on which will bring my total backup to around 200GB.

Can i get some pointers on where to look as to solve the slow transfer rate? thank you.

Make sure you have the LATEST SCSI card driver installed for the SCSI card. If its adaptec go out to the site and update them. Make sure you have the latest Veritas Drivers. I have seen many of times it ends up being the SCSI drivers. Checked the device manager and make sure the tape drive is using veritas drivers - if not again download and install them.

Run a defrag on your local disks that you are backing up. Does this improve throughtput

thank you for the replies.

The server is new and i a dont think the Hard drive needs to be defragged but i will look into that. I have updated all drivers except for the SCSI, i will try those tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back