Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow backup on Netware host

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noor2000

Technical User
May 23, 2004
CA
Hi all,
I have one Netware server 5.1 as a host, so no network communication is needed to back up the server with Arcserve9.
The amount of data is 200Go. It was taking 8 hours to finish but this last days I arrive at the morning the backup is still active, I still have 400 Mo to backup but the server is stack, For sure the activity of the users influences but the server is really stack

How can I investigate this, even 8 hours is alot, I have compression turned to Yes

Thanks for your help

Are you backing up a lot of small files? How many?

Compression can affect performance, but small files are worse offenders.

Yes It is 892000 files but what can I do with that?
Thanks

You can try modifing these
Maximum Directory Cache Buffers = 2000
Minimum Directory Cache Buffers = 1000
Directory Cache Allocation Wait Time = 0.5
Directory Cache Buffer NonReferenced Delay = 5
These parameters can all be modified with the SET utility from the NetWare server console prompt, or in the autoexec.ncf. These settings take effect immediately, so their effect can be tested right away by submitting a new job. If there is an improvement in throughput, then the Minimum should be set to the nearest hundred above the current value, and the Maximum should be set to double the minimum, if possible.

Also if there is a virus detection program scanning the files that can slow it down.

So davidmichel, do you try to match the cache buffers to the file sizes? Or is it a case of the more cache buffers allocated the better?

cheers,

G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back