Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow backup on Arcserve 2000 SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlaloux

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
BE
Since I have had a problem with my server and restart it, the backup are very slow ! To complete a job it now takes 10 hours and before 1h40. I have tried to reinstall Arcserve(2000 Build 1100) with SP4 and no change. I m running arcserve on a WIN2K SP3 server with an ULTRIUM 3581. Please help me

Thank you

Maybe thread478-578161 will help you. It has tips on optimizing your Arcserve.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Thank you for your help, but it concerns backup trought network but my problem is for local backup (arcserve server is the server to backup)

Do your run maintenance on your Arcserve Database? (Purge job every day or so)

Yes I do it.And now that I have reinstall Arcserve, I have a new database. I purge Job every Day. But when I take a look on the speed backup. The Backup speed trough the network is the same as before and the same as local backup :-(
Only the speed for local backup as seriously decrease.

So then it's safe to say that your problem seems to be local... Have you tried (just for fun) to backup something using NTBackup? Just to test the speed. This may help you to isolate the source of the problem (Hardware or Arcserve). Remember to stop your ArcServe services to use NTBackup. Also, if you have an anti-virus software running locally, try disabling it to see if the performance increases.

I have the same problem with 3581 HVD with arcserve 2000.
I tried with NTbackup and veritas as well but is the same.
I only reinstalled the os. Then the backup was 400Mb/min where before was 950Mb/min. I am sure it is a SW problem because i installed on a AS/400 and worked well.
rlaloux, did you find the solution?

I have exactly the same set-up, amazing how great minds think alike:)

Your problem is my problem too I have the solution for you. I found that when you upgrade your SP for WIN2K it simply reverts the SCSI drivers to their basic drivers or MS drivers. All you have to do is install the SCSI manufacture recommended driver in my case it was Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI. The driver from Adaptec has increased the speed from 88Mb/Min to 1200Mb/Min yes friend I am not kidding it is 1.2Gb/Min.

This undocumented feature has caused me many sleepless nights but now whenever I go for a service pack I am on the lookout for all sorts of wonderful extra tasks to add to my wonderful working day.

I want to know who is responsible :)

I dearly hope that this is the same issue for you and if it is I accept Amex, Visa or MasterCard wink wink :) Just kidding enjoy.

MagNet007, thanks very much for your answer but firstly i have not upgraded to SP and i have just tried installing the adaptec driver.
Thanks again,

If I understood an earlier entry correctly then backups over the network are fine but local is too slow.

Look for a sharing of resources (IRQ) between the hard and tape drive controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back