Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Backup internal fast external ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoTons

Technical User
Mar 11, 2006
US
Hi,
My company has sx6000 IDE raid controller. I backed up the two partitions on the raid to an internal WD 120gig, and then we did the same to the external USB Drive USB2 Seagate 300gig. I use PowerQuestv2i to do a full image backup, the two sizes of the backup C: 2.5 gig D: 75gig after normal compression. This used to take about 3.5 hours total, the C: partition still only takes 21 min., but the D: partition internally takes 13 hours when it used to take 3 hours.
When it saves to the USB the C: and D: it only takes 3.5 hours. Then, I thought the internal drive that I was backing up to could be damaged, so this weekend I replaced it with a brand new WD180.
This Monday night was the first backup run. I came in at 6:45 AM on Tuesday; it was only at 69 percent, this job started at 10:15 PM Monday night.
What could be slowing it down so much??? Today I will change it so the USB drive goes first.

Is your antivirus maybe scanning the data when its backing up to the WD 180gig but not scanning it when its backing up to the USB drive?

Our eTrust Antivirus has a checkbox to allow fast backup. If we don't have this checked our backups take 3 to 4 times longer than if its checked.

Cheers.

Thanks for the response I will check that as well. I use panda antivirus maybe it will even go faster. The problem was a bad on board controller that the backup drive was connected to. I just bought a new card. It's kind of nice, it can support 4 drives and also USB and fire wire. I only had one PCI slot that I was using for the USB card and swapped that with this and now it has been running fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back