Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow arp table response

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorfun

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2001
GB
when i type the command arp -a at the command prompt of a Solaris 7 box it is taking an extremely lengthy period of time to come back with anything, let alone the whole arp table. does anyone have any idea why this would be happening and how to fix it? please help as i'm supposed to be off work next week and if i don't get this fixed i will have to come into work instead of going on holiday!!!!

I have the same problem. Also takes a long time to telnet to the box. From what I've been able to find out, it could be something to do with address reverse configuration but I'm not sure how to fix this. I looked at /etc/resolv.conf and that seemed the same as on the other boxes. Is there anywhere else I should be checking?

Ed.

I have had this problem when I have had an entry in the /etc/resolv.conf like &quot;search <domain>&quot;, but I was not really on that domain, or just an entry in /etc/resolv.conf that said &quot;domain <domain>&quot;. JW

Sounds like there is a domain name service a(dns) problem (if you are using dns)- the name of the server you are trying to telnet to is not being resolved to its ip address. /etc/resolve.conf should have the fully qualified domain name as the first line: domain The next line(s) should have the ip addresses of the dns servers that you are using: nameserver 127.79.21.245. The /etc/nsswitch.conf must have the &quot;hosts&quot; line with dns parameter first and files second. Also check the /etc/defaultdomain file - it should also have your fully qualified domain name there. Your host name need not be fully qualified - the domain name will get appended to it.

Hope this helps Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back