Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow access to web server via TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

david902

MIS
Jan 6, 2000
US
I don't really know where to put this message NT, IIS, Routers, TCP/IP...all, humm, this seems to be the best place<br>
<br>
My company provides on the Internet, and the clients are not happy with the response time while using the service. If the PC, network wiring, hardware, bandwidth are not problems, symptoms include trouble running trace routes, and ping responses that loose packets averaging 10-12% regularly from a specific router not owned by your company and ~25% packet loss to the client workstation during peak periods. Also, response times are about ~100-200ms.<br>
<br>
10-12% packet loss during peak times is considered acceptable. 100-200ms response times are also considered within acceptable limitations.<br>
<br>
How do you come up with a solution to satisfy management with an accurate description of the problem and what steps should be taken for problem resolution ?<br>
<br>
It appears that the above descriptions are within acceptable limitations when speaking of connectivity and Internet issues, but unacceptable from the clients point of view because their simple pages take 30-45 seconds to load.<br>
<br>
Thanks for your input.<br>

Well, I don't know how others feel, but in my mind as a customer, 100-200ms is a fine ping. Not bad at all. However, I would HIGHLY disagree with a 10-12% packet loss. Personally, that would be way too high for me, and if a solution wasn't found, I would be looking elsewhere for service.<br>
<br>
Now the place I would be looking would be the router that is not owned by your company. I would urge them to double check their settings, and find out why your clients are pulling a 10-12% PL. That would be enough PL to make a noticeable change in service. Perhaps urge them to check or you may have to find an acceptable way to provide to your cliets (ie. look for another provider)<br>
<br>
Now to address management? Hang your head low, and run. :)<br>
I would suggest to them the same I just suggested to you. Either the owner of the router corrects it, or look somewhere else for a provider.<br>
<br>
Just my 2 cents! (what are my expectations for PL? I would say 3-6% at peak times...but that's just me.)

I agree with mhrubes you should change the provider your provider is mayby one of the cheap solutions without reliability.<br>
<br>
The PL is far to high and thats why it takes so long to load the page.<br>
It looks like the connection of the privider to the internet isn't very good...<br>
no bandwidth ..<br>

Nothing new to add to the first 2 answers except,<br><br>Run a bunch of trace routes at different times of the day<br>to come up with the amunition you need to hammer the tier 1<br>about the problem.<br><br>Leroy Harvey CCNA, CCDA, MCSE, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back