Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow access to specific network folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

SjrH

IS-IT--Management
Jun 24, 2003
GB
I have a user who experiences very slow access to a specific network folder. The folder only contains about 20 word and excel files, none of which are very big.

It takes minutes to open this folder, and if the user right clicks on a file, it can take 15 minutes for the options to appear.

This only affects the single user so i'm sure its not the server, and only this one folder.
If I move the folder or copy the files somewhere else, the problem remains.

Do you experience the same issue from your PC or direct on the server?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

No, I can access the folder with no problems, as can a few hundred other people!

Likewise, on the server it is also fine.

What happens if this users logs onto a different computer then attempts to access the same network folder? Is the problem isolated to a single computer, or a single user? If a single computer, you may want to investigate that computer's network connection.

Have you tried removing the user from the Domain, and removing the machine likewise, then rejoining them to see if that helps?

Mapped Drive takes forever to open in XP!
thread779-935638

Speed up Network Browsing
Thread96-664508

Slow Logon to Windows 2000 Domains
faq779-4017

814112 - Files on Network Shares Open Slowly or Read-Only or You Receive an Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back