Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow access to samba shares from Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

alayaho

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2002
ID
Hi everyone,

We are running SAMBA 2.2.2 on a SCO UnixWare 7.1.1 server. Access to the shared folders seems to be quite quick for our machines running Windows 9X, but when I tried accessing the same folders on a Windows XP machine, it is very slow.

The Windows XP machine is new and I have made very few changes apart from getting TCP/IP working and installing the Novell client for Windows.

It can take up to 1/2 and hour to initially access a folder, but once it has been accessed once, subsequent accesses seem to be quicker. The PC is a Pentium 4 with 256MB of RAM.

Can somebody give me any ideas to help speed things up? I have not done much to try to optimise SAMBA or the Windows machine, but I don't think that is the cause of such a huge delay.

Thanks

I'm not really sure, but I'm guessing this could be a WindoZe master browser election issue.

ß

Look in your /etc/samba/smb.conf and check the following options to see if your XP machine is trying to become the master browser. ** REMOVE ";" to make setting active else it's just a comment.

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
; local master = no

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
; os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
; domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
; preferred master = yes

I suggest you say YES to being a domain master and preferred master or else the XP machine will try to take over this function. (you don't want that to happen - it's a job for a 24x7 server not a workstation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back