Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slow access to mapped network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2001
US
I have a Win2K Domain Controller running DHCP, DNS (points to itself with a forwarder for our ISP). It has a folder called "Staff Data" which includes all our user's home folders. It has always been incredibly slow opening this mapped drive (I tried the UNC path also slow). I have service pack 3 installed on the server. I've run perfmon tests on memory,processor and haven't seen any red flags. Also other shares I access through the UNC path open much quicker. Our network only has 26 or so users so I doubt it's because of traffic to the folder. It's getting really frustrating. If anyone has any tips it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Silly question, how large is the folder compared to others. In the properties section of the folder, if you go to the advanced tab, do you have the check box checked for faster searching allow indexing? Might help. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"What really happens is trivial in comparison to what could occur."
Robert von Musil (1880-1942); Austrian author.

Fast indexing is checked. The folder is rather large about 5GB compared to one about 1GB that I was comparing it with.

Can you break the folder down into smaller folders, like accountingfolder, or just give users there own folder at the root of home and not in staff data, so they access only there own stuff? Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

See that's the problem, everybody has the My Document's folder mapped to their home directories which opens rather quick...they need access to everyone's stuff though (well they don't need they want...lol). I think I'll just split them up by department and map multiple drives.

Users should NOT share home folders. If they have a need to share something, create a share folder, a share group and put the people that need access in the group. I took over this network and almost everybody was sharing home folders with somebody, plus we had 27 admins out of 250 users. Been a real treat cleaning up this network.

[pipe] Glen A. Johnson
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back