Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

slot processor upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

modelX

Technical User
Feb 3, 2001
US
I have a spacewalker shuttle AV64 motherboard with a pentium II 233 processor in the slot. I would like to upgrade my speed. I was at the computer shop in town and the dude said there is a 900 or something MHz celeron processor for less than 100$.
I would have to buy a slocket thing for this to work, does anybody have experience with these "slockets"? Like are they trustworthy and are there better brands than others?
And is celeron a good trusty processor?

A slotket has worked for me in the past.
As for a celeron, I would rather get an AMD or a full fledged Intel than some stripped down Intel proc.
AMD is great, intel is great.

I would go to the motherboard website and see what this model supports up to before I get carried away, you will be very lucky if this model supports a 900 celeron, fingers crossed.
I like Celerons but if you have to change your moby then an Athlon is the way to go!
If you are very lucky with your board then the very least you will have to do is flash the bios to recognise this CPU. Martin

The computer shop worker said that the biggest slot that my board can handle is about a 700MHz. But I want around a 900Mhz and that would have to be socket style. My motherboard manual says that it has at most a "133MHz front side bus"
I would like to run a 900 MHz Celeron socket(I want cheapness)
Can somebody tell me what specifications I should look for when choosing a slocket and processor?
thank you

SLOCKETS: My one criteria is this: Name brand.
eg, Iwill, Asus, etc.
The slockets have all worked flawlessly for me.

I doubt your old P-II mainboard would take more than a Celeron 533 MHz, and that the OLD STYLE PGA, NOT the new FCPGA.
I could find nothing on the to help get any relevant information.
The BIOS upgrade history wasn't much help,,,,, just listing code about 566 / 567.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back