Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sloooow dvd burner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

magmo

Programmer
May 26, 2004
SE
Hi

I have a P4 3.6ghz with 3 GB RAM and a Sony DVD RW DW-Q30A. I use Nero to burn with. When I burn a DVD, it says that it burn in 8x, but a file that is 4 GB take me 1 hour to burn, that is obviously not correct. There must be something wrong. Beacuse when I do the same thing on a P4 1.5 Ghz with 1 GB RAM, same Nero but with a NEC DVD RW 1300A it only take me 10 minutes.

What can I start off with to find out what might cause this poor performance?

Regards

First off , go to start, run, then type msconfig and hit enter. Click the startup tab on the far right. Go through those and uncheck the ones you dont need if your not sure look them up. The only ones i would leave checked are antivirus/firewall and keyboard software. Anything else such as ypager(yahoo messenger), msn messenger (has to be turned off by the messenger itself) and any thing else listed there id uncheck for having lots of things running when the computer starts up will slow it down and also slow down speed on other things for the processor is being shared with everything running. Also run the scan below and see if you find any spyware/viruses and another thing id run scandisc and defrag.

Check the DMA status for that Burner....

it seems to have reverted to PIO mode or has been set to operate in PIO...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Hi

One of the IDE channels current transfer mode is PIO, but even if I change to DMA if available it doesn't change.What more can I do?

Regards

Hi

I followed the tip on this page (registry part) and then it worked. I now burn the same file in 8 minutes compared to 1 hour when it ran in PIO!!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Regards

Glad you could be helped... and thanx for posting the fix aswell... this will help others that may experience the same problem...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back