Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SLLLLLOOOOWWW Netware login

Status
Not open for further replies.

satch

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2000
CA
We WERE using client 4.81 for W2K, then our admin, acting on a reccomendation from Novell, upgraded to 4.83. This change has taken a login measuring seconds and made it a PAINFULLY slow process of minutes, often with errors, and having to re-enter the username/password.

This is a case of the fix being FAR worse than the problem.

Does anyone still have a copy of the 4.81 client?

Our admin also went and deleted the source files, and Novell DOES NOT offer anything but 4.83 that I have been able to find.

Thanks
Ken

I am following up my own post with this further info:
AS PER reccomendations I lifted from other posts, I have ALREADY TRIED:

Turn off file caching in Netware Client
Uninstalled Client for MS Networks
installed W2K SP3
sacrificed a chicken under a full moon in a graveyard.

Still no joy.

Satch

I've got a copy of 4.80, but not 4.81. Let me know if this will work for you.

I'll look for 4.81.

Yes by golly, i would LOVE to have a copy of 4.80; can't be any worse than what we're going through here. I work at a College, and the machines are actually DELAYING the start of each class as users have to login.

Have you applied sp1 to the client 4.83? We are using it with great success. I do have an archive copy of 4.8 and sp3 that goes with it however.

Cheers,

Mark ;-)

I'm not at work now, I'll email you a copy tomorrow. email me at scottd@guinnsmith.com

I just sent the file a few minutes ago. Let me know if it works out.

Hi

Client 4.83 with the patch works fine....

Regards

David

still no joy on receiving client yet. did you try the FTP i set up?
ill check with our mail admin to see if it was getting cut by our webshield server Someone please explain to me why I continue to torture myself like this....

Haven't tried FTP yet. I should be in the office sometime this weekend, I'll try it then.

Thanks, but i was already there. while i can honestly say i didnt get to try them all yet, there was no significant improvement with those items i did try. it also doesnt explain whats different in 4.83 that makes it so much slower than 4.81 was. SAME NETWORK, SAME CLIENT & S/W PACKAGE. its not 10 or 15 or 20 seconds slower, ITS MINUTES slower. As long as 10 MINUTES(!) from startup to desktop on P4 1.6ghz computers. This is UNACCEPTABLE, and novell doesnt even have the decency to keep older clients easily accessible on their web site, so i am here begging for a roll-back version that hopefully someone can send. The more i dig into this and other hassles, the more i am thinking that novell has:

a: been sucked into copying the M$ business model (piss off customers because they are secretly masochists)

b: been infiltrated by M$ corporate saboteurs

c: been run by a typical american CEO, who will f&^K the company into the ground to maximize next quarters profit, exercize stock options, and buy a carribean island to retire to.

And the better a linux solution is beginning to appear.
/ventmode off
Ken Someone please explain to me why I continue to torture myself like this....

How is the client configured? Is it pure IP, IP/IPX? When you do get connected, what protocol is the PC using to connect to the servers? Have you got SLP configured? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

This may not help. but it hasn't been asked;

How is your SLP setup doing? Are your client trying to login via IPX or IP? You may already have this in place; but it's worth a shot. Novell has changed thier SLP best practices about 18 times since the intro of NetWare 5.0

How do you distribute SLP information to your clients? (DHCP or static) Your previous admin may have made static SLP entries that got cleared when it was upgraded. Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Engineer

Why do user go into a panic when a NetWare server goes down, but accept it as normal when a Windows server goes down?

I've not recieved any FTP information from you. I'd be happy to send it, but I don't know where/how.

I had a similar problem and we had to turn off client cashing on the server. We also had a #f:\public\nal.exe statement that I changed to a @f:\public\nal.exe I think what helped us the most was disabeling client cashing on the server My login scripts were running in like 2 to three minutes now they run in under 25 seconds. We are using 4.83 client.

RBrigando@ugnusa.com

The command Rbrigando is on about is:

SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED = OFF

This also has to be set in your STARTUP.NCF. I personally turn file caching off as standard. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

We had similar problem & that command SET CLIENT FILE ... did the trick!

Ok, on a side note, I recently installed the newest client for win95/98 and generally we've had no problems. However, one computer in particular has been going quite slow since. The login works quickly enough, its the general computer speed. I've already turned file cacheing off, are there any other setting that I need to do to the server or this computer locally? ~Apex1x
Sattinger's Law:
It works better if you plug it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back