Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slip streaming Windows Updates 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddatabid

Technical User
Dec 22, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I have various Windows 2000, XP machines (200 in total) and wish to use slip streaming to depoly Windows Updates & Service Packs. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Where will I be able to download all updates (for network deployment)?
Can I store these on any member server or do I have to store them on DC prior to deployment?

Thanks

You can grab the network installs by going to Microsoft.com then clicking on Information for IT Professionals then click Downloads there you will see that you can select downloads by OS.

If you want to slip stream for an OS install check out
I think you will find this a little more difficult and would suggest instead that you look at creating your own MSI files. Check out MSKB 257718 for details on how to do it.
I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Microsoft has a free program that deploy only service packs and updates to all workstations and servers. The program is called SUS. The program must run off IIS. I am using this software currently and the program runs smoothly after a little tweaking. Go to Microsoft.com and do a search for SUS.

I would agree that SUS is the way to go for ONGOING patch management, but it is not the best solution for new installations. For one thing you can't force a SUS update which leaves a new machine vulnerable until it gets the scheduled download.

Regards,

Mark

mark,

Thank you for your posts! Yes, I did find them useful and have installed an SUS package on Win 2003 Server. I managed to deploy SUS client on all workstations using logon batch script, and have configured appropriate group policy using template provided by Microsoft.

However, having read the documentation I understand that clients will query the server after 24 hours. Have verified that Automatic Updates is added as a service & registery keys are added also.

Is there anything else I should lookout for?

Thanks

Saddat

Sounds like you have it all covered. Good luck.

You might want to keep an eye out for the next version of SUS which has been renamed to WUS. It is in beta now and supports the ability to roll back hotfixes. Also supports Office updates.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for all your posts, however, I have realised this morning that the clients are not synchronising with server for updates. Having installed SUS client & server I read that it may take upto 24 hours for clients to query the server but has not happened yet?

Registery enteries & Automatic Updates services are there but not actioning?

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Please help.

Thanks

Saddat

Mark,

Further to above, I have examined gpedit.msc on local workstations and noticed that windows update template is not imported by default. This template is copied from server to c:\windows\inf folder where I imported it from. Is Group Policy not working or something else is wrong?

Also having imported the template the Automatic Update on local workstation is greyed-out?

I need the template to be imported or applied from server to workstations, though I feel that GPO is configured and applied successfully. Workstations are XP & 2000 whilst server is 2003.

Please help.

Thanks.

PS Having modified local workstation gpedit.msc the updates were applied from server to clients but I would prefer not to tweak all workstations, any suggestions?

You should be going the Group Policy on the Server in AD not on the local machine.

Regards,

Mark

Yes, cracked it!

The thing I was doing wrong was applying GP at OU level when it inherits from Domain level. Applied GPO at domain level and it works!!!

How do I go about deploying Acrobat Reader v.6 on all workstations? Can I get an MSI package for it? If so how?
Please help,

Mark,

Is it okay to install all Windows Updates on a Windows 2003 server running Exchange 2003?

Thanks

My experience is yes. You should also go out onto the MS web site and look for updates to Exchange 2003. I knwo that there are two security updates for Exchange 2k3.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back