Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slightly Off Topic - C++, Java etc - Which Way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazz

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
GB
Hi Guys,
Im just starting out on visual C++, thinking that this was the way forward. I really only thought that as its the most popular language. All im asking is, before I really start C++, is this really the right language to learn, or should I be choosing sql, .net, vb etc.

Im after some advice please of where programming is going and in your opinion, what would be the best place for a young, new programmer to start?

I take it know one has an opinion on this then? [sadeyes]

C++ is a good foundation for most languages. It has templates (like generic in Ada), references (like Java, Algol 68), pointers (like C, Pascal), classes/structures (like Pascal, Fortran 90), single/double precision (like Fortran), macros (like Coral 66, C).

Basically, what it doesn't have is hardly used nowadays. Things like call by name and Jensen's device.

Also, if you choose C++, you can work on any OS (Unix, QNX, VxWorks, Symbian OS, VMS etc). With VB, .net etc you are stuck with Microsoft. It also changes shape every 2-3 years so whatever you learn now will be completely out of date in 3 year's time. VB only came out around 1992/93 and it is now at V7.0. C++ in contrast, came out in the 80's and is only at V3.0.

C++ is an excellent language, a true scientist's language. I have found the standard template library (STL) such an incredible help. A little thought about your problem in terms of STL can cut thousands of lines of code.

I am fluent programming Visual Basic too. I would NEVER recommend someone learn it unless they were required to do user interface for their job. It is a clumsy C++ wanna-be. Aesthetically, it looks like a kiddie language, whereas well done C++ code is a thing of beauty.

Ditto on the previous post regarding platform dependence. Remember .NET and C# = Microsoft. Nothing wrong with that, but C++ is platform independent language. If Linux took over the computing world tomorrow, most of my C++ code would port right over. I can't say the same for the others.

Be a leader, not a follower. Be a man. Choose C++.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back