Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slideshow Action 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alienshadow

Programmer
Jan 1, 2004
US
When previewing my web page on GoLive OR on the internet browser the Action slideshowauto works fine. It works as it sould, but when I upload the same page to my web site the slideshow does not work. This is very frustrating. :eek:(

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Upper case / lower case problem ?
Or can you provide an URL ?

I am having a problem with "Multimedia Actions -> SlideshowAuto". A slideshow automaticaly is initiated during the "onload" of a web page. Correctly operating, it should dispaly 11 slides (individual pictures) every 4 seconds. Everything works find when previewing under GoLive AND when previewing using I.E or Netscape from my local PC. Once the page is uploaded to my host provider, the slideshow does not work. Only the first picture of the 11 slides is displayed.

Thanks.

alienshadow

Please provide a URL where we can look at the page in question. It's hard to diagnose a problem when you can't see the patient.

ok. I presume you are using windows on your local pc. your provider probably uses unix, which is case sensitive, i.e. if you mixed up lower / upper case names of the picture files, they will be found on your local pc and in golive, but not when loaded on an unix machine.
so, the first thing you should check is if the filenames used in the action are EXACTLY the same as on your disk.

if the filenames are ok, could you please provide the URL with the website, where you put your site, so that people can take a look at it.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I made the changes you suggested, (changing upper case letters to lower case) but I still have the same problem. My web site is:
Is this the right procedure to reply to suggestions?

Had the same problem Alien, dove me crazy. I think I have your answer (from Adobe). Worked for me...

A - GoLive handles action code in 2 different ways...
write all the code into your page
import an external script library

The default behavior in GoLive 4 and 5 was to write the code into you page. In GoLive 6, the default was changed to use the external script library, because that method works better with components and templates, and is generally more efficient.

If your page is working locally, but not online, then there is probably a problem with the path to your external script library. By default, at the root level of your site, there should be a folder named "GeneratedItems" and inside this is the "CSScriptLib.js" file. That is your external script library. Follow these steps to troubleshoot...
First, make sure you've uploaded the GeneratedItems/CSScriptLib.js to the server. If it's not on the server, the browsers won't know what to do since they can't find the code. Before uploading, it's also a good idea to "flatten" the file. This will optimize the file making it much smaller, and as a result your pages should load faster. To "flatten" the script library, right click (control+click, Mac) on the GeneratedItems folder and choose "Flatten Script Library" from the contextual menu. If this doesn't fix it for you, then...

The path may be pointing to an absolute location on your hard drive instead of the GeneratedItems folder in your site root folder. This can happen as a result of working on a page using actions while not having your site window opened. It can also happen if you just aren't using a site window/file. The problem can also be caused by a special character in one of your directory names that's confusing GoLive's internal database. This could be a problem even if the directory is above the level of your root folder – even the name of your hard drive. Look for problem characters like #, $, ?, ƒ (option+f, Mac), /, \, etc.

To fix this problem, try opening your page, making sure that your site window is opened and your page is located within the "Files" tab on the left side of the site window. Select the page icon at the top left corner of your document window and go the the HTML tab of the Inspector. Try selecting the option to "write code into page". Now try uploading the file to your server. If it works now, then we've identified the problem. You can now either leave it set to write the code into your page, or change it back in the Inspector to "import script library". If you files are set up correctly, the link should be written back into your page to point to your GeneratedItems/CSScriptLib.js file.

If you've done all this and are still having problems, try posting a link to your page in the user-to-user forum so others can see if they can find what is causing the error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back