Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slide show will not display

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaynes54

Technical User
Mar 9, 2004
US
I just set up a new Compaq laptop (XP Pro) with Office 2003. All of the programs work except Powerpoint when viewing a slide show. When I try to run a slide show, the show opens a button on the taskbar, but the show will not display on the screen. When I right click on the taskbar button, nothing happens, no menu pops up to give me the option to restore, maximize, close, etc. I have to go into msconfig to stop it from running. The taskbar button for powerpoint works just fine, and I can close evertyhing by closing that buton. The same symptoms occur if I simply open a presentation wihtout opening powerpoint first. Any presentations that I create I can view on another machine, so I know that the problem is not in the presentation itself.

I downloaded the Powerpoint viewer and had the same problem. I tried to run a ppt that was on the web, but the system crashes and sends a report to Microsoft (for all the good that does!) I have reinstalled Office to no avail. I have used the same install disk on another computer to comfirm that the install files are working properly and I had no problem on the other machine. I can view videos, etc,. in Media Player, and the DVD player works, so I know it is not the video adaptor.

Compaq support has been totally ineffective. Thanks for any ideas.

Randy

You've tried Help / Detect and Repair?

Regards
Ken...........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Ken,

I did not even know about that feature. I will try it tomorrow when I get to work. I will post the results. Thanks.

Randy

Ken,

I tried the Detect and Repair, but it did not change anything. I finally tried reinstalling the photo software that came with the computer, and it cleared up the problem. I have no idea what actually happened, but since it is now working, I am leaving well enough alone. Thanks for the suggestion.

Randy

OK, glad you got sorted :)

[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back