Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sleepy Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

myriad46

Instructor
Apr 21, 2004
US
We have a problem with a mouse. Let me explain. The mouse gets stuck. It is similar to when a system is lagging behind, where the mouse pauses for a moment, but the buttons still work. Also, this is a P4 2.8 with 256 RAM, i don't think it is the system. I tried changing the mouse; same thing. I tried changing the mouse pad; same thing. I tried reinstalling the driver; same thing. Most of the time, if you click either button several times you can get the mouse to get some motion back. It seem to do it when you open a menu or click on an icon or generally activate anything. It ususlaly pause for 2-3 seconds and then you get it back. It starts even with the welcome screen.

Does anyone have any idea where i could even start trying to figure out this problem.

More detail: Dell Dimension 4600, Win XP Pro, Logitech and Microsoft mice.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Ed

couple of thoughts;
does it only happen more so with a right click?
try disabling Indexing service in XP maybe AV software has 'constant' scanning or 'heuristics' scanning turned on. If you notice it's more of a right click pause (then could be building it's thumbnail index, or mapped network drives, (or any contextual item, available on right click, could be the culprit).
Have you defragged lately?
Swapfile defragged?
Check out CPU usage in TaskManager..CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, then double click on Title bar for more detailed columns and click "usage" name to sort by usage under CPU tab

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

It more often happens with a left click and sometimes it locks for a few minutes. The keyboard also work the entire time. It is not my computer so I can't try defrag right now, but the system is only a month or so old and not used very much. Also, it just started happening. The individual has a magnification program on the system and we upgraded to one with a voice. It started doing the mouse thing, so i XP system restored to several hours before (i much prefer go back)with no luck. I have installed the program in question many many times and never got that result.

Thank you for the quick response...any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Ed

your welcome;
Is prefetching enabled in the Indexing area, and is Indexing Off?
seems the voice feature may have something to do with it...huh?

also, prolly noticing no keyboard prob, cause mouse click offers many diff choices depending on App, or File type.

you say Logitech AND Ms mice?
two mousies?

XP Pro comes with PGP service.....enable it

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back