Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sleep mode not working if logged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibulous

Programmer
May 18, 2007
GB
Hi all,

Instead of shutting down I tend to choose sleep mode (not automatically after x minutes, but via the start menu)
If I have already signed out this works fine, however, if I am signed in it goes into sleep mode & then wakes up again immediately.

Is there something that is causing the pc wake up again, for example signing me out.

I appreciate that there is not a lot of information here, so if there are any more details that would help then please let me know what they are.
If there is a tool or command I can use to monitor what is going on then again, let me know & I can provide the results.

Having done a little bit of google searching some people have had similar issues, but those all seemed to be around sleeping after x minutes.

Any assistance or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steven...

I had a similar problem when I had a Logitech wireless mouse attached. The driver installs both a mouse device and a keyboard device; I had to turn off 'allow device to wake computer' for both of these.

The following article is about Windows 7 and mentions powercfg, which I don't think works in Windows 10, but it does show you how to turn off 'allow wake' for devices:
How To Prevent Your Computer From Waking Up Accidentally

Nelviticus

The minor vibration caused by my desktop means the mouse keeps on moving and the PC never goes to sleep. To fix that, I place the mouse on its back.

Thanks for your thoughts, I tried them all over the weekend, but to no avail.

The link that Nelviticus provided had a few more ideas, but again they did not help.

If I ever find a solution I will post it, but for now I will just accept that I have to sign-off first.

The link also described using powercfg. Did you try that (contrary to Nelveticus' earlier assertion it does work on Windows 10) and, if so, what did it tell you?

Hi strongm no I didn't. I will give that a go tonight when I get home from work.

So what normally happens when you try to recreate an issue, it stops happening. The same happened to me last night, so I could not identify the culprit.

I did check what can wake my computer & there were no waketimers. There were three devices however,
Mouse​
Keyboard​
Something by Realtek​

I will spend more time over the weekend trying to recreate the issue (unless it just happens by chance in the meantime).
I will also look into the Realtek thing & see if that could be the cause. If so I will either try to disable it in the wake-devices or see if there is anything other than Realtek installed that I could use.

Thanks again for all your help.

I suspect it might be the Realtek network adapter, and it may well be set to wake on lan.

Thanks strongm, that would make sense. When I ran the same checks on the PC at work I got three devices again, Mouse, Keyboard & LAN connection.

I have done a quick google search and there are a few ways of changing that, so I will give that a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back