Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slavaged PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pio

MIS
Aug 24, 2000
US
I am trying to put together a PC in our office with parts from other PCs...I'm trying to load Win98 using the setup disks. For some reason I keep getting the message:

CDR101: Not ready reading drive D
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Mind you I have tried 4 CDROM drives and 2 different IDE cables and I keep getting the same error. I even went into the BIOS to have the CDROM boot first to start the setup but it tells me that the CD isn't bootable. I even went as far as trying to load WINNT 4.0 Workstation which I know is a bootable CD. The BIOS sees the different CD drives each time.

Please advise...

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Are you trying to use the Win98 Setup CD to boot? That doesn't work without the drivers, which are loaded from the boot floppy. If your system doesn't have a floppy drive you will need an emergency boot cd, but I believe the floppy option is easier. Just boot to A: and select the cd rom support option.

You're not alone,

TomCologne

Thanks Tom...

Stupid me was using the an old boot floppy...I downloaded the current ones from Also, I did notice that there were little tabs sticking out on the CDROM drive (you know the ones that hold the CD in place)...well I was placing the CD right on top so naturally the CD could be read...duh, do I feel stupid...

Ray

Me, too. (too often, Ha.)[lol] Jim

Please come back and let us know if your
problem is fixed and what fixed it!! [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back