Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SL1100 - Choose outgoing CLI on the fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flameside

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2018
GB
Hi.

I have a few phones and a few DDI numbers. Each phone sends it's own CLI, which we have done through choice. Occasionally there is a need to make a call from a phone, but present the main business phone number, not the extensions DDI CLI.

I have achieved this by connecting a spare POTS extension to a spare POTS trunk, and then using the shortcode #9001 (001 being line 1). The call goes out line 1, which is connected to extension 208, extension 208 has automatic line seizure on, and grabs a line from the standard outgoing group, presenting the main DDI number.

This works fine, although only one person can use this at a time, which is not a huge problem. I could use the short code for an outgoing trunk group, and group the 4 POTS trunks with the 4 POTS extensions to give more capacity.

Is there an easier option in programming to achieve the same? It feels a little like a hack to have to bridge the trunk to extension by a physical wire, although I have seen short RJ45 links on other systems which I haven't installed, so wonder if they are doing similar.

If there is a way to achieve a selectable outgoing CLI on the fly, I would love to know how.

Thanks for reading!

You can set up a virtual extension for outgoing and place it on a button on each phone. Set the CID for the virtual to the main CID number. This is only available for SIP or PRI trunks. Analog trunks use the registered CID from your telco provider.

Hi. Thanks.

This works great on system phones, but there are no feature codes to allow access to virtual extensions are there? For use on standard phones or cordless etc?

No, those phone would need to dial the direct trunk access code then the trunk number pre-programmed with the CID.

I don't think you can do this on any NEC system. The only system I know that can do this is an Avaya IPO.

The default direct trunk access code is #9, then dial the trunk number EX: 001. You will get dial tone from trunk 001. Dial out and it will attach the CID assigned for trunk 001. This only works for PRI or SIP trunks with the CID assigned for that trunk.

Hi.

Thats what I tried to achieve before I used the POTS trunks to bridge to the POTS extensions (which works well!)

It's using SIP trunks, lines 5, 6, 7, 8.

21-19 extensions have their own DDI's set for outgoing. Some their own, some shared. These are what are sent as default.
21-17 trunks are set to the main DDI that would be sent if no number is specified in 21-19. This works and sends this number if nothing is input in 21-19. This number seems to be ignored if using the direct trunk access #9005 - #9008.

Direct access will use the number in 21-17. A virtual extension set to outdial in 15-07, will use the number set in 21-19 for that virtual.

Hi.

21-17 isn’t overriding 21-19 when you access a line directly with #9 code.

It's probably using the CID set for the extension in 21-19. 21-19 overrides 21-17. Your only option is to use a pre-programmed number for a virtual extension. Program the CID for the virtual in 21-19. Place it on a button on the phone in 15-7, then assign it for outbound use in 15-18. To dial out, press the button for the virtual, then continue dialing. We have used this in the past and it should work for you.

That’s right, 21-19 is definitely overriding 21-17. I checked this by swapping a presented number.

I am using the 4 spare onboard POTS trunks connected to the 4 spare POTS extensions, and this is working perfectly for their needs. I feel it’s a little hacky, but it is working perfectly. I’m sure companies around me are doing similar. I’ve seen RJ45 patch leads joining the ports on SV systems, and I could never decide why, but I seriously wonder if this is why.

NEC are quite responsive to suggestions, perhaps they should look at this.

Cheers Belevedere. I appreciate your input.

Who do you talk to at NEC? The official responsive from NEC we've gotten for the past 15 years is "Go fuck your self".

NEC Japan decides what the system should or shouldn't do, this is not a feature they deem necessary. I've had this conversation with NEC before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back