Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SL1 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

saphiamond

Technical User
Jul 18, 2006
US
Pardon my ignorance.

DN 23444
TYPE SL1
TN 045 0 00 01 KEY 00 H MARP DES X 23 MAY 2004
(2616)

What is type SL1?

Andre

SL1 was the first practical digital PBX (Public Branch eXchange, or private telephone switchboard), and in many ways, the first practical digital switch. It was developed in the early 1970s at Bell-Northern Research and sold by Northern Electric (later Nortel Networks). SL stands for Stored Logic (by Northern Telecom).

Thank you for the History!

So you may see for type: 500, 2616, ACID...ect.

What kind is an SL1? Is it a physical set or just a phantom number or what?

Cheers!
Andre

I'm thinking it's just a Nortel manufacturer number. But yes, you will see that on 2616's, 3904's ect.

When Nortel developed it's first switch (they were the first to develop a digital switch) they had two types of phones. An analog "500" set and a hybrid (analog voice/digital signalling) "SL1" or (stored logic) set. Hense the software programs reflect those sets. LD 10 is TYPE 500 and LD 11 is TYPE SL1. Later on they added the "(xxxx)" to identify the set ID.

as stated.. still used at times in the switch as just a ref to a digital set.. qpc- sets.. older 2 pair were sl1 sets.. the switch had sl-1 as almost the only system wide name for decades,,

no surprise that some of us here worked on rls 3 back in the 70's.. but i didn't really know the rls until around rls 6.. prior to that it was more nt numbers then rls.. but if you think about it, back then rls was not needed.. the 1st install i worked on we had to find a print for a nul modem and wire it.. no one had ever connected a wise 50 to anything.. no one could understand why 300 baud was an option,, we couldn't read that fast and the printer could not keep up

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back