Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Skype for SIP Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the pricing, it's really not that attractive. Skype gets you two ways:

Per minute fee
Channel fee (concurrent call)

Neither of the above is "cheap", the way we traditionally think of Skype. There are a lot of true/established SIP providers who can deliver the same/more for less.

Another annoying thing is that phone manager pro softphone does not work at all when skype is installed !

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Have a look a this:

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Bas, that looks like the cheapest looking piece of poo poo I've seen in a while, click on the picture to enlarge it.... the label is an old Dymo press label and it's not even stuck on straight, also the grammar on the site is not exactly confidence inspiring either :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

DavidCT - The advantage comes with the subscription. Unlimited US/Canada calling for a low flat monthly fee.

tlpeter - You don't install Skype on your computer for this one. It is just like any other SIP provider, you just set up your PBX to use it.

bas1234 - We have actually installed Vosky systems in a few places. Vosky makes systems similar to the one you linked to, but I would guess they are of higher quality. They are Skype certified and have real labels. ;) The advantage of the Skype SIP I mentioned earlier is that you don't have to use this hardware to get it done. You just use Skype as a SIP trunk.

Then i think it perhaps will be supported in the future.
Big fish to catch for Avaya.

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Skype?
if you want US and Canada calls go with a US or Canada SIP provider (les.net is the only one that is Avaya approved but I also use unlimitel.ca successfully) then go with a flat rate of ~$9/month and you are set

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every moment of it :)

I have been trying the SIP for Skype beta with IP Office 500. It works pretty well for the most part, but I have found a few annoying quirks that would keep me from recommending it. Since this is my first time using a SIP trunk I don't know if these issues are common to other/all SIP trunks.

#1 - On outgoing calls I don't hear the first couple of seconds of audio when the receiving party answers the call. I usually miss the first three or four words that they say. (Incoming calls work perfectly)

#2 - When calling a number that is busy, for the first few seconds you hear a normal ring and then it switches to a busy signal.

#3 - A TAPI app that I am running that provides call control frequently has problems dealing with calls that are on the SIP trunk. These errors don't seem to occur on a regular PSTN line.

Other than that the trunk has performed really well. The sound quality has ranged from good to excellent and I rarely experienced any hiccups.

I also realized that I had some extra flexibility assigning DIDs. At first I purchased a DID via the web interface and assigned it to my SIP trunk. Then after testing an inbound call I moved the same DID to a business Skype user account. I was then able to log in with Skype on my iPhone with the credentials of the same business user account and receive inbound calls on that DID. Within seconds I was able to switch it back and receive calls on the SIP trunk again. I'm not sure how often something like that would get used, but it seemed kind of cool to have that flexibility. Maybe it would be useful when dealing with an outage or something.

Quin

Quin,

Nice review.

I also would be interested in knowing if your 3 points are common to all SIP trunks or if it is isolated to the Skype brand.

Mark

Quin,

#1. From my application (xLite on PC, SIP on Symbian and Sipphon on iPhone), from the moment the softphone shows connected I have speech path. Maybe it's a network issue for you?

#2. I believe it's a Skype problem because I can see in wireshark they are sending trying messages (which means ringing in Avaya) and they Busy (which gives us a busy dial tone)! :)

#3. What app do you use? I'm curious because I never experienced issues in this area!

Help me to help you! Helping each other makes us stronger, smarter!

Hello,
Could you please provide some more information?
How can i set up Skype for IPO500? Do i need a license for SIP?

Thanks in advance,

@Avayell, Ask your BP

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back